Associate Technical Director
11 days ago
Blackbird Interactive is a creative-fueled, future-driven, independent game studio where the best talent in the industry can find long-term careers to help grow their abilities while working on a wide range of projects, which encompass world-class IPs as well as our own creations across multiple genres.
In 2022, we announced that our studio is implementing a four-day work week as well as supporting in-studio, remote within Canada, and hybrid work arrangements as permanent options to our employees.
Blackbird Interactive needs an experienced technical leader to join us on on an exciting project. Can you balance today's priorities with next year's goals and create and drive a technical plan to achieve both? You must have a strong, hands-on understanding of technology and the development process, demonstrated through past experience shipping large projects on multiple platforms. You will guide a strong team of programmers to develop features, optimize multiple platforms, and support the creative ambitions of artists and designers.
- Coordinate priorities with the rest of the project leadership team
- Assess and manage technical risk and scope
- Be a strong guide and mentor for the programmers on your team
- Jump wholeheartedly into learning new technologies and systems in order to understand and address project needs
- Embrace and improve our engineering practices for solid design, implementation, testing and delivery
- 7+ years of proven development with multiple shipped commercial products, preferably AAA games on PC and consoles
- 1-2+ years of experience leading successful engineering teams
- Strong understanding of modern C++
- Self direction and a proven ability to thrive in a highly dynamic environment
- Strong inter-disciplinary collaboration skills, including verbal and written skills
- Genuine care for people on your team
- Experience with Unreal, Unity 3D, or other similar full-featured game engine
- Console development experience
- Strategy game development experience
- Demonstrated passion for games and technology
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent.
Vacation & Extras
+ 4-day, 32-hour work week for all full-time staff
+ Mentorship program
+ Skunkworks internal game jam program
+ 4 weeks paid vacation per year
+ 11 paid stat holidays
+ 3 paid days per year for professional development
+ December holiday studio closure (extra paid time off!)
+ Comprehensive health/dental benefits from day 1
+ Life insurance
+ $300 Healthcare Spending Account per annum
+ RRSP matching up to $1500
+ Profit-sharing bonus program
If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
Any questions about the role and/or accessibility requests can be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Unfortunately, we cannot reply to everyone. Only successful applicants will be contacted about the next steps. Thank you for your understanding.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of historically marginalized communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on gender, race, national and ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Blackbird Interactive is privileged to be developing our projects on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish) and səl̓ílwətaʔɬ /Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.