Associate Game Designer
Wizards of the Coast
Renton, Washington, United States
6 days ago
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that’s where you come in!
The Game Design team is a hardworking, vibrant, collaborative team dedicated to making playing Magic as fun as it can be. Game Designers on our team touch cards from beginning to end, working with all the various design fields to ensure we’re making successful products. This includes card design, mechanic design, product exploration, and many other design tasks.
This Associate Game Design role draws on your Magic knowledge, your curiosity and enthusiastic thirst for learning, and a drive to make great gameplay. You’ll collaborate with our team of exceptional designers to play and refine products serving a broad variety of audiences.
We’re looking for potential. We’re looking for overall game design acumen. We’re looking a solid understanding of Magic game design to date, with a unique perspective on where game design can evolve. This role will focus equally on multiple formats and products, so a fundamental awareness and thoughtful perspectives from Modern & Pioneer, to Standard & Commander are right at home. We’re always looking to grow, evolve and innovate within Magic Game Design, and this role is no exception.
What you'll do
- Serve on a team of Designers shaping one of our flagship sets
- Review another set with your unique perspective
- Iterate at a card-by-card level to deliver the best possible cycle or theme and achieve amazingly fun gameplay
- Participate in team meetings and discussions by adding constructive, reasoned, provocative insights to the conversation
What you’ll bring
- 1+ yrs of professional game design experience or equivalent professional gaming experience
- A strong foundation in the multiple Magic TCG formats
- Play experience and knowledge of multiple Magic play expressions (Paper, MTGO, Arena, etc.)
- Self-motivated curiosity, active listening and creative thinking
- Positive, energetic, and articulate communication to improve our shared vision
- Flexible, adaptable approach with a constant thirst for knowledge
In the Wizards TCG Studio (Studio X), we believe diversity of experience is fundamental to creating accessible and fun gaming experiences for *all* of our players. We encourage everyone to consider being a part of our team.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.