This job might no longer be available.
Associate Game Designer
San Diego, California, United States
10 months ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
ASSOCIATE GAME DESIGNER, MLB THE SHOW
MLB THE SHOW designers are artisans of interactive baseball experiences. We offer many different experiences for gamers, and our designers juggle many different responsibilities. A designer works with all disciplines to take features from concept to complete. This usually requires getting your hands dirty in content tools, scripting, excel spreadsheets, or maybe even code. Most importantly, we expect our designers to maintain a collaborative spirit that encourages everyone to help find the right ideas and the best compromises.
Principle Duties / Responsibilities:
- Help design and develop MLB THE SHOW’s feature set.
- Identify what users yearn for, and turn it into truly innovative game features
- Seek out the best ideas, regardless of where they come from, and make them real
- Do what needs to be done to get features in the game and up to our standard of quality
- Assist the entire design team by identifying and creating techniques, structures and tools used to guide the evolution of game design within the studio
- Interest in the sport of baseball and a willingness to live and breathe it
- Quality written communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts
- Logical thinker with strong attention to detail
- Positive attitude and a collaborative spirit
- Ability to think outside yourself and into the shoes of your varying demographics
- Knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres, and a personal understanding of video game fun
Pluses but not required:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience
- Experience in game or software development
- Strong math and organizational skills
- In-depth understanding of sports management, specifically nuanced management rules
- Basic knowledge of scripting languages and code (eg, XML, C++, Ruby)
Job Specifications: (Required for internal classification - Freedom to Act (what level of autonomy or judgment are freely made in the position; sign-off or budgetary responsibility, what level direction is given from management); Problem complexity in role; and Level of impact the role has to business unit or company)
Freedom to act: (What level of autonomy or judgment is freely made in the position; sign-off or budgetary responsibility and/or what level of direction is given from management)
- Extensive interaction with peer group managers to drive cross functional projects
Problem complexity: (What type of complexities are faced in the role)
- Problem solving requires identifying that a problem exists, identifying new solutions or reviewing recommendations regarding solutions to problems. Precedents and guidelines are few and solutions require developing new concepts.
- Works on issues requiring a good understanding of organizational objectives.
- Integrates the activities of multiple workgroups and disciplines to obtain results.
- Analysis required to identify and research information related to problems and implement solutions based on existing guidelines
Level of impact: ( What is the level of impact the role has to business unit or company)
- Failure to produce results will have direct significant impact on the successful delivery of products
- Contributes to the development of department’s goals and objectives
- 5 hours per week, primarily in office with discretionary travel
- Salaried employee
- Fosters and maintains productive and positive working environment on behalf of projects, department and company.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.