Gameplay Design Director
18 days ago
WHAT MAKES US EPIC?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating.
Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
What We Do
Put your design skills to work at a cutting-edge company that challenges the norm. From character and level design to competitive gameplay and system design, help shape the future of interactive entertainment at Epic.
What You'll Do
As a Gameplay Design Director focusing on LEGO Fortnite, you will be responsible to lead and collaborate with a multidisciplinary team of developers to guide new gameplay to success from ideation to ship. Working with other directors, you will carry the game's vision and Epic’s goals forward while making hard calls on quality and priorities, and above all be creatively excited and engaged in creating an unforgettable and fun experience for our players.
In this role, you will
- Collaborate with leadership to define a vision and goals for gameplay features & content within LEGO Fortnite
- Hold that vision and inspire the development team to follow you
- Oversee content and feature development from start to finish - From leading ideation with the team and shaping a timeline of engagement across the whole season, to making tough decisions on quality and scope throughout production
- Work with Product Managers to gain insights from player metrics and marketplace data, then translate those insights into actionable goals to improve the player experience
- Work with Production, discipline leads, and HR to manage staffing, feature scope, production milestones, and hiring
- Focus on mentoring and empowering the team to be independently successful and make solid decisions without your involvement
- Uphold Epic’s design and gameplay quality bar & foster curiosity and healthy risk taking
What we're looking for
- Experience leading game teams from a director or other high-level design leadership perspective
- An expert level background in creating compelling gameplay moments you can speak to and draw from
- A deep understanding of what makes games tick at all levels, with a particular focus on what makes them fun immersive experiences
- A keen understanding of what makes the survival sandbox genre work is required
- Passion and excitement for applying yourself to highly complicated problem spaces
- Excellent soft skills; you are able to navigate the day to day ups and downs of working with a large team across many disciplines and locations with ease
- An eye and passion for helping to creatively shape a product that goes beyond the game team
- You’re user-focused, passionate, scrappy, solutions-focused, and innovative. These traits equal success at Epic and influence everything we do
EPIC JOB + EPIC BENEFITS = EPIC LIFE
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. Our coverage includes Medical, Dental, a Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance & a 401k with competitive match. We also offer a robust mental well-being program through Modern Health, which provides free therapy and coaching for employees & dependents. Throughout the year we celebrate our employees with events and company-wide paid breaks. We offer unlimited PTO and sick time and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Epic Games spans across 19 countries with 55 studios and 4,500+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Epic does not accept any unsolicited resumes or approaches from any unauthorized third party (including recruitment or placement agencies) (i.e., a third party with whom we do not have a negotiated and validly executed agreement). We will not pay any fees to any unauthorized third party. Further details on these matters can be found here.