Artist: Character Surfacing & Materials
26 days ago
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar San Diego is on the lookout for a talented Surfacing & Material Artist who has a passion for texture and material creation . This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Carlsbad.
WHAT WE DO
- We use a creative eye and technical skill to create high quality, physically based materials that help bring the game world to life.
- We collaborate with multiple art departments to help create a material library, presets and realistic surfacing.
- Create photorealistic materials and surfaces using source textures and runtime shaders.
- Assist different art teams on specific tasks.
- Maintain a balance between visual quality and technical consistency for real time game applications.
- Keep artistic style consistent with defined visual style for the game.
- Participate in R&D of new techniques to implement into the production pipeline
- Must provide a portfolio through a webpage or other digital media to be considered.
- Sound knowledge and use of texturing techniques in the video game or VFX industries.
- Demonstrable experience with Substance Designer, Substance Painter, 3DS Max and Photoshop.
- Good understanding of physically based materials and real time engines.
- Experience in photorealistic texture creation with Substance Designer, Painter and Photoshop.
- Experience of asset creation (tile and baked assets).
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Interest in real time shader creation and lighting.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is committed to creating a work environment that promotes equal opportunity, dignity and respect. In line with this commitment, Rockstar will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified job applicants with disabilities during the recruitment process in order for such applicants to be considered for the position for which they are applying, as well as to qualified employees to enable them to perform the essential functions of their roles. If you need more information about Rockstar’s reasonable accommodation policies or process, or need to request an accommodation, please contact the Human Resources Department.
** For those based in Toronto, Rockstar will provide accommodations to job applicants and employees as long as such accommodations do not pose an undue hardship on Rockstar, and consistent with its obligations under the Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, race, or any other protected category.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
The pay range for this position in San Diego at the start of employment is expected to be between the range below* per year. However, base pay offered is based on market location, and may vary further depending on individualized factors for job candidates, such as job-related knowledge, skills, experience, and other objective business considerations. Subject to those same considerations, the total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a bonus and/or equity awards, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an "at-will position" and the company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation or benefit program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
*San Diego Pay Range
$80,000 — $115,000 USD