16 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
We are actively recruiting an exceptional Art Director for Sumo's Sheffield studio to help develop and grow the universe of a multi-title franchise. You will support the Franchise Art Director on all art aspects to ensure we meet and exceed the vision for a well established IP.
You will undoubtedly be a confident art leader unafraid to be an advocate for the art team with the ability to have a holistic approach on how art impacts the gaming development lifecycle. With a passion for excellence you will drive high standards, mentor and support team members and push for creative collaboration across both the Art department and other disciplines.
Within this role you will:
- Support the Franchise Art Director and game development teams to ensure art supports and enhances the game play and narrative of an existing IP
- Review, direct and provide positive constructive feedback for all art disciplines
- Facilitate and lead art reviews for internal and external teams
- Creation and refinement of Art Bibles, Style Guides and mood boards in collaboration with Franchise Art Director and discipline leads
- Regularly update senior management on status and progress of milestone deliverables.
- Actively participate in multi-discipline stakeholder meetings and champion the art requirements/needs
- Collaborate with Producer and Art Manager to identify and resolve art workflow and staffing issues.
To be successful you will have:
- Shipped at least one AAA title as an Art Director or Associate Art Director
- Strong leadership and interpersonal abilities
- Proven experience directing and supporting artists across multiple art disciplines.
- Excellent visual, verbal and written communication skills
- Mastery in identifying existing visual styles and the ability to implement them.
- Commitment to raising the bar for the project and team
It would be great if you also have experience with:
- Experience with developing games off of strong existing IPs or franchise
- Working knowledge of industry standard Project Management tools, Perforce and Visual Development Platforms such as Shotgun
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.