3 months ago
Phoenix Labs is seeking a talented and broadly experienced Art Director to take the reins on a new, original IP title. You would partner with the VP of Creative, own the visuals and build and oversee the Art team moving forward. Additionally you would work with the Lead Product Manager, Technical Director, and Design Director to chart the future course of the product.
Applicants must live within commuting distance to the Vancouver studio. This is a full-time, permanent position. This job is unsuitable for remote employees.
- Own the art style and art quality of the game.
- Establish a high quality bar for visuals, and hold the team accountable for hitting it.
- Regulate stylistic consistency across all art content.
- Maintain the Style Guide.
- Work with the Recruiting Team to handle art staffing as needs arise.
- Inspire a team of artists, provide support to art leads, and help them grow in their careers.
- Ensure content is created with gameplay requirements and technical specifications in mind, to ensure that art, design and technology converge to create the best possible product.
- Provide feedback on art content as it’s produced.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in game development, with at least 5 of those years in Art Direction.
- The ability to work through people and inspire others to excel.
- A keen eye for visuals, understanding what good looks like in terms of composition, palette, silhouette, and motion.
- An understanding of the importance of visual and thematic consistency, and how to achieve it.
- Working knowledge of Maya or equivalent 3D software.
- Experience building, and managing, teams.
- The ability to thrive in and promote a culture of collaboration and transparency.
- Good visual, written & verbal communication skills.
- The ability to lead remote employees.
- Some experience in multiple facets of game development: concept art, modeling, sculpting, animation, graphic design, illustration, VFX, tech art.
- Experience working with Agile.
- Experience working with the Unreal Engine.
- Experience with non-photorealistic art styles.
Who we are:
Phoenix Labs is a multinational video game company with connection at its core. Dauntless, our flagship title, was the first-ever game to launch with full cross-play and cross-progression, and we’re already working on several new projects and ways to bring people together.
In our studios, the story is the same. Our teamwork, transparency, and optimism keep us focused on doing what matters, and we work hard to live up to our central promise that people are the ends, not the means.
Phoenix Labs is headquartered in Vancouver, BC, with studios in Montreal, Los Angeles, and San Mateo. We are backed by Garena, our long-time partner in Southeast Asia.
Learn more about our values->