13 days ago
Why Goose Byte
Do you wish that you could spend your work hours actually making games? We're offering that low-overhead-indie-team-productivity along with all of the stability and I-can-sleep-at-night big studio perks.
We're cultivating an inclusive, high performance, talent dense team where collaboration is key and we won't be tolerating talented jerks. High integrity is important and we nurture an environment built around the concepts of freedom, inclusivity, respect, sustainability, and trust.
As the Art Director you will be the vision holder and the key stakeholder of the visual identity of our game, the voice of the art department, and a proactive, collaborative, and inclusive leader for the project.
Our directors motivate, inspire, and support their teams to do their best work in a high-trust environment.
You have the passion and expertise to inspire and lead artists to produce visuals that are aligned with the creative vision and make players fall in love with our universe.
This is complemented by the experience and pragmatism to guide artists to achieve incredible results in a sustainable way, leveraging workflow, tools, and production knowledge.
Our First Project
For our first project we’re making an open world survival crafting game that focuses on exploration and creativity over violence and combat, finding a unique space in a crowded genre to bring something exciting and different to players.
We’re creating our own IP, building on our love of science fiction, worldbuilding, and unconventional games, and as an indie studio we have full creative freedom and control.
Using our experience from leading AAA open world and action adventure games we’re thinking practically and pragmatically about our choices, from technology, to scope of features, and where to place our bets for quality and innovation.
There are lots of challenges ahead but we are setting our own ambitions and expectations, leveraging our scale to be decisive, move quickly, and make the game better every day.
You are definitely a match if you are excited by these opportunities…
- Focus on game dev, first and foremost. Always know the next three tasks you want to tackle
- Think like a programmer, a designer, an artist, and a player all in one. Close off more tasks each week and assure the quality of your own work.
- Work with the Creative Director and Technical Director to define and execute on the visual look and feel of the game
- Create and update the project’s Art Vision based on the project vision, establishing an inspiring direction for a team to follow to success
- Foster a culture of collaboration across art, design, and tech
- Work hands-on creating content as a member of the art team, leading by example in creating high quality work
- Provide guidance and feedback to the art team on their work, processes, and their overall craft
- Contribute to project leadership with strategic leadership of the art department
- Collaborate with the Creative Director in the development of the game’s brand, world building, and IP Bible.
- Identify, define, and drive partnerships with external vendors to maintain consistent quality
Each colleague that joins our studio is equally important to its success. As such, all of our benefits are available to everyone, effective from their first day with us. Being transparent about this equality and how we value our employees is a key part of who we are.
- Hybrid Remote work - we primarily work from home with provided high-end hardware and collaboration tools. We meet once a week in our Montreal office for collaborative work and socializing.
- Flexible schedule
- $1,000 yearly employee lifestyle fund - use this to stay healthy, social, comfortable or productive
- Equal opportunity and equal pay employer
- Team building and social events in Montreal
- Zero tolerance policy on harassment, bullying and discrimination
- No talented jerks
- Competitive base salaries for all jobs
- Low admin and manager overhead - No boring reccurring meetings
- An uncapped profitability bonus scheme that shares studio profits with everyone
- We offer everyone dedicated high end hardware to maximise productivity
- Commitment to a Crunch-free environment
- Competitive Group Insurance Plan (Healthcare, Vision, Dental, Life Insurance)
- Retirement fund - We match 50% of all employee RRSP contributions
- Studio shuts down one week for Winter Holidays
- Unlimited paid vacation for all employees - this means 5 weeks minimum
- Unlimited sick days / Family days / Flexi days
- All benefits start day one, for all employees
Get On Our Radar
We value diverse backgrounds and fresh perspectives. We hire based on future potential, not only your past experiences.
Perhaps you are:
- An Art Director that misses being more hands-on
- An Associate Art Director looking to take on additional challenges
- A hyper-specialized lead artist looking to broaden your scope
- Someone that wants to be part of a smaller team making something experimental and different
- Tired of the homogenous masculine power fantasies and dude-bro pew pew pews that dominate the industry.
The main technologies we use at the moment are:
- Unreal Engine 5
- Google Workspace
If you already have skills here it's a great bonus!
If you made it here and this sounds like a great fit for you, then what are you waiting for!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.