Animation Intern (Summer 2024)
18 days ago
Crystal Dynamics is constantly seeking the best gaming talent worldwide to add to our 30-plus year legacy of game development creating new and iconic franchises. We are committed to making great games with great people and living the dream while doing it.
Benefits for our regular full-time positions include, but are not limited to, a competitive regional salary, 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance options, professional development reimbursement, flexible hybrid on-site/off-site work opportunities, 12 company paid holidays, plus additional paid days in December when the studio is closed for holiday break, and the ability to accrue additional paid time-off.
Join us and shape the future of an amazing studio culture committed to creating award-winning franchises like Tomb Raider, the next Perfect Dark , and more!
Crystal Dynamics invites dedicated individuals to apply for our 12-week, on-site internship program at our Bellevue, WA studio. This internship isn't just a learning opportunity; it's a hands-on development experience on AAA games.
What You'll Experience:
- Practical Project Involvement: Engage directly in our current projects, using advanced tools and technology essential in today's gaming industry.
- Professional Mentorship: Receive guidance from experienced professionals with deep industry knowledge.
- Skill Development: Expand your skill set in a variety of areas, establishing a solid foundation for your professional journey.
- Team Collaboration: Work alongside our dedicated team and fellow interns, building valuable professional relationships within the gaming industry.
Your Role as a Crystal Dynamics Animation Intern:
- Acclimate to our studio environment, understanding team dynamics, and mastering administrative and technical systems critical for your role.
- Gain an understanding of the project's scope and animation pipelines.
- Work with custom rigs and tools to understand mocap animation processing in Maya, exporting, implementing and testing animations in Unreal Engine.
- Participate in a mocap shoot, from shot list planning with your mentor to suit-up and performance, followed by data processing and animation tasks derived from the shoot.
- Collaborate with operations teams and experienced developers both onsite and remotely.
- Enhance your understanding of advanced game development technology, focusing on Unreal Engine.
- Engage in regular communication and mentorship with your supervisor and team members.
- Experience our studio culture by joining fellow interns at studio events and social gatherings.
Ideal Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Portfolio demonstrating basic character and object animations that display an understanding of movement and expression, as well as principles such as weight, timing, and fluidity.
- Exposure to industry-standard software and tools such as: Adobe After Effects, Autodesk Maya, or Blender, and game engines like Unreal Engine, particularly regarding how animations are imported and used.
- Willingness to tackle challenges, learn from feedback, and adapt to new tools or workflows.
- Ability to communicate your ideas and accept constructive feedback.
- Industry involvement beyond classroom curriculum, such as: game jams, animation specific social clubs, online animation challenges, and/or other activities that showcase your enthusiasm for animation and game development. Even small personal projects or contributions to group projects can be significant!
- College seniors graduating in Spring 2024, enrolled and pursuing a degree in an Art, Game Art, Digital Media, or similar field.
- Availability to work full time (40 hours) a week onsite at our Bellevue, WA office (yes, this will be a paid internship!) from May 20th to August 9th, 2024.
- Legal eligibility to work in the United States.
- Completion of full application, including: submission of your resume, cover letter, and link to your portfolio or demo reel.
The pay for this internship role includes the base hourly rate, and does not include the medical, dental and vision benefits package that interns will also be eligible for.Your recruiter will be able to share more information about total compensation.
How to Apply:
To start your journey, apply through our website. The application includes filling out a form, submitting your resume, work samples, and a cover letter. At Crystal Dynamics, we value inclusivity and diversity. We encourage you to apply even if you feel you don't meet every single requirement. We're looking at your skills, experience, and potential. If you make our shortlist, we'll be in touch for further assessments and interviews.
Thank you for your interest in an internship at Crystal Dynamics. We can't wait to see what you bring to our world of game development!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Not sure if you are qualified? We hope that you will still choose to apply so we may review your application!
Crystal Dynamics is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to identifying and implementing positive and persistent measures to ensure equal opportunity in the recruitment, hiring, development, training, promotion and compensation of a diverse team employee group. This includes persons of different race, color, creed, religion, sex, gender identity or gender expression, pregnancy, breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeeding, genetic characteristic, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, political affiliation, age, veteran status, uniform service member status, marital status, physical or mental disability, or citizenship, as well as any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
By submitting an application, you acknowledge that you have read and understand Crystal Dynamics’s Privacy Notice available at https://www.crystald.com/legal/privacy/.