AI Programmer (mid to senior)
22 days ago
This is a full-time, on-site position in our development studio located just outside of Dallas, TX.
The hallmark of id Software games is tightly balanced, hand-crafted combat – a lone hero with an arsenal of incredible weapons and abilities versus hordes of unique and intelligent creatures. Our AI programmers bring that combat to life with the development and implementation of industry-leading creature behaviors, pathing and attacks.
We are looking for an experienced AI Programmer to work as part of our development team making AAA games by developing AI and related technology for the game industry’s most advanced engine technology.
You must be able to work closely with individuals in the other development disciplines to create and improve AI gameplay features for rewarding customer experiences.
- Responsible for any aspect of AI gameplay programming from invention and prototyping to full implementation.
- Write clear, maintainable, portable C++ code
- Work with the Lead AI Programmer to design and architect major gameplay systems.
- Work well with other engineers, artists, and designers specifically in the areas of developer experience and iteration time.
- Help mentor and guide less experienced programmers on AI systems.
- Accurately estimate schedules and deliver high quality work products to that schedule.
- 5+ years game industry programming experience
- Strong C++ design and coding experience
- Experience writing code that balances performance and maintainability.
- Strong 3D math skills
- Enjoys jumping into lots of different systems, tackling everything from entire systems to random tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills and problem solving ability
- Comfortable working in cross-discipline teams
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code that adheres to a well-documented coding standard
- Must be a self-motivated and energetic team player with a very strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
- Significant contributions to at least 1 AAA shipped game
- Experience with developing first-person shooters
- Experience with any version of idTech
- Experience with C++11
- Experience with animation or gameplay programming
- Experience with game editor and commercial (Max, PhotoShop, Modo, etc.) plugins/modification
- University or equivalent programming-related degree
AI Programmer - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $75,000 - $160,000 per year.
Senior AI Programmer - The typical base pay range for this position at the start of employment is expected to be between $100,000 - $215,000 per year.
ZeniMax has different base pay ranges for different work locations within the United States, which allows us to pay employees competitively and consistently in different geographic markets. The range above reflects the potential base pay across the U.S. for this role; the applicable base pay range will depend on what ultimately is determined to be the candidate’s primary work location. Individual base pay depends on various factors, in addition to primary work location, such as complexity and responsibility of role, job duties/requirements, and relevant experience and skills. Base pay ranges are reviewed and typically updated each year. Offers are made within the base pay range applicable at the time.
At ZeniMax certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, such as merit increases and discretionary bonuses. These awards are allocated based on individual performance and are not guaranteed. Benefits/perks listed here may vary depending on the nature of employment with ZeniMax and the country work location. U.S.-based employees have access to healthcare benefits, a 401(k) plan and company match, short-term and long-term disability coverage, basic life insurance, wellbeing benefits, paid vacation time, paid sick and mental health time, and several paid holidays, among others.
Applicant Privacy Notice
ZeniMax Media California Applicant Privacy Notice
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.