This job might no longer be available.
3D Environment Artist
Vancouver, BC, Canada
8 months ago
Relic Entertainment is a wholly owned studio of SEGA. We are an award-winning developer of genre-defining games like Homeworld, Dawn of War, Company of Heroes, and Age of Empires. We have delivered rich, thoughtful strategy games throughout our history and our vision is to continue making games that people love to play. We have a full-time opportunity for a 3D Environment Artist to join our studio in beautiful Vancouver.
As an integral part of the Art team, you will provide production quality artwork focusing on environment design, with a strong creative aesthetic to enhance the overall player experience.
As a 3D Environment Artist, you will…
- Create both hard surface and organic models, props for set dressing environments, and their respective textures
- Author and implement Substance Designer/Painter files
- Troubleshoot assets to maintain frame rate, memory, and design spec while maintaining art vision
- Collaborate with leads to achieve the visual direction of the project
- Help with bug fixing, scheduling time and risk analysis
- Help foster a team culture that constructively gives and receives feedback, has fun, and constantly contributes to the studio in a positive way
You are a great fit if you have…
- 3+ years’ experience working in the game industry and at least one shipped title as an Environment Artist, modeling in Max or a related software
- An exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette
- An ability to visualize assets and detail with minimal concept art and direction
- Proficiency managing assets to fit memory, design, and frame rate limits
- Strong polygonal modeling skills and the ability to generate clean and efficient models at a very fast pace
- Skill at meeting deadlines and the flexibility to adjust when changes happen
- Excellent communication skills, the ability to help others, and the ability to ask for help when needed
- A proactive and collaborative approach to sharing information, techniques, and assets
- A great attitude; you are a team player, you are flexible with new ideas and open to direction and changes
- A strong portfolio and/or demo reel that demonstrates modeling and Painter skills
- A desire to grow and learn with us
It’s a bonus if you have…
- A passion for games
- Experience developing for RTS genre
- Experience and/or interest working with historical titles
- Prior experience working with external vendors
- No hard copies please, must submit via link with valid contact information
Are you game? We’d like to hear from you!
Please apply through our careers page (www.relic.com) and we will be in touch shortly to let you know about next steps.
This is Relic
We have a culture of kindness, transparency, and play. There is a lot of heart and passion at this studio – we get to work on projects we’re proud of and we work hard to be the best at what we do. We are curious, we strive for excellence, we build on each other’s ideas, and we celebrate each other’s great work. Relicans organize movie nights, game tournaments, life drawing, community and charity events, and more. Basically, we believe that good work starts with a community you’re excited to spend your day with, both in and out of the studio.
Relic benefits include an extended benefits package, RRSP/DPSP matching program (subject to eligibility requirements), local discounts to gyms and restaurants in the area, and regular studio and community events. For designated roles, relocation and immigration assistance may be available.
You will also become part of the SEGA family (in addition to Relic, this includes Creative Assembly, Sports Interactive, Hardlight Studio, and Amplitude Studios), which gives us access to the resources to enable us to build on our legacy of innovation.