This job might no longer be available.
19 days ago
What We Need: Hangar 13 is looking for a Writer to work within the narrative team to craft best-in-class stories, develop unique characters, and collaborate on the design of compelling missions for our current project. Because of our studio's emphasis on narrative, this is a unique and exciting opportunity to push the boundaries of dramatic storytelling in video games.
We’re the home of the award-winning Mafia series, and we want our narratives, characters, and missions to live long in the memory of the player after the credits have rolled. What You Will Do:
- Assist in the creation and delivery of the core story including the writing of mission overviews, world lore, in-game dialogue, cinematic cutscenes, character bios, and other narrative elements as required.
- Represent the game's narrative vision during ideation sessions, reviews, and meetings with other departments.
- Collaborate with Design, Art, and Audio teams on the development and implementation of narrative content.
- Develop excellent working relationships with a wide variety of internal development teams.
- Create and maintain a wide variety of narrative-related documentation.
- Own and drive specific areas of narrative content.
- Review and feedback on the work of other writers in a clear, constructive, and compassionate manner.
- Prepare scripts for casting, motion-capture, and voice recording sessions.
- Support internal development teams with their narrative needs as they arise.
- Support our marketing and social media teams with copywriting assistance on an occasional basis.
Who We Think Will Be A Great Fit:
- You have a passion for game narrative and writing.
- You’ve gained demonstrable experience as a game writer or narrative designer.
- You possess exceptional writing, proofreading, and editing skills.
- You have a desire to grow and improve, not only as a writer, but also as a game developer.
- You hold a bachelor’s degree (or have equivalent experience) in Game Design, Creative Writing, English, or other related discipline.
- The ability to communicate and collaborate with different disciplines effectively.
- You’re able to work in a style that matches the tone and quality standards established by other writers.
- You can openly take on feedback and promptly iterate when required to meet internal quality standards.
- The capacity to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- You have a working knowledge of Final Draft, Perforce and, Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience of working with Unreal Engine is a plus.
For this role, we’d ask to see writing samples from your portfolio. Ideally you should be able to provide three samples (5-10 pages each) that demonstrate a solid understanding of dramatic structure, a keen ear for dialogue, and a talent for characterisation.
Who We Are: Hangar 13 is an internal 2K development studio creating AAA video game experiences across all major platforms. The studio is based in four locations around the world: Brighton (UK), Brno & Prague (Czech
Republic) and Novato (California), working collaboratively as one team. Each of our locations provides the opportunity to work with some of the most talented developers in the industry, on creatively challenging and exciting projects, in a diverse and welcoming environment. Our focus is on making the highest quality games with sustainable, healthy development plans; to continue to tell stories and engage players in worlds and experiences
that keep them hooked from start to finish, and to be a studio that our team members feel is somewhere they can make difference and develop themselves alongside our games.
Located just 45 minutes via train from London, Brighton is one of the UK’s most diverse and downright interesting cities. Sat right on the south coast of England, the city is home to a vibrant creative community and is known as an easy-going and tolerant place to live and work. Brighton is home to Victorian piers and palaces, brightly coloured stucco homes and a 5-mile-long shingle beach which becomes a post-work social hub during the summer months. Onsite amenities inside our state-of-the-art Brighton studio include a fully equipped kitchen, games room, gym (with showers) and our very own bar. We’re a 30 second walk from Brighton station
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.