This job might no longer be available.
World Art Director
1 month ago
Cloud Chamber is looking for a strategic, supportive, and decisive Art Director to join us and manage the efforts of our World Team. You will collaborate with Project Direction stakeholders and provide mentorship and guidance to Art Leads and team members in the Art Department focused on World development, development of skills, and quality of work. It’s the responsibility of the World Art Director to translate the overarching Creative and Artistic Visions and relate them to the team. You will define and validate the project needs to fully realize the artistic development of our game world.
- Work with Project Direction stakeholders and the World Team to ensure alignment and support of the overarching Art Vision in the World.
- Align the World Team’s work with the overarching Art Vision and Production Strategy for the project.
- Set and manage quality expectations to ensure the successful creation and execution of Level Art by the team.
- Establish the benchmarks for the Level Art realization of the game.
- Develop and maintain appropriate references and documentation to guide the team.
- Partner with Stakeholders across the Art Department to ensure requirements/needs are being met to deliver on the Level Art needs of the game, including Object Bank, Character Art, external partners, and similar.
- Partner with Level Design, Mission Design, Narrative, and Cinematics to ensure a cohesive and holistic approach to the realization of the World in support of the Creative Direction.
- Act as a Stakeholder for the recruitment and hiring of team members in Level Art, Lighting, and VFX.
- Act as an advisor on recruitment and hiring of team members for modeling and materials.
- In partnership with production, drive the review strategy to validate the quality of the implementation of Level Art in the World.
- Train and empower artists to integrate art direction in their work to unleash their creativity and the ownership of their work.
- Drive the communication strategy with the team for documentation and presentations related to World Art.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
- A minimum 7+ years experience in AAA development with at least 1 shipped AAA title in a leadership capacity.
- Experience working with a Directorship Team to spearhead the translation of sophisticated creative and art visions.
- Background in environmental art.
- Previous experience leading large environment art teams for AAA game development, working with hybrid/distributed teams, including co-dev, a plus.
- Art and Environmental storytelling experience.
- Profound knowledge of the AAA game asset creation pipeline.
- UE4-5 Experience.
- Lighting and VFX experience a big plus (lumen).
- Bilingual French/English a plus.
- A caring and compassionate mentor and coach.
- Proficiency in industry-standard 2D and 3D software tools, such as Maya, 3DS Max, Photoshop, Substance Painter, and Substance Designer.
- Strong organizational and communication skills, with a critical eye for detail.
- Strong problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to establish priorities, delegate, and multi-task effectively.
- Ability to partner with a diverse group of personalities effectively and constructively.
- In-depth knowledge of industry trends in interactive storytelling and AAA games.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing production situations.
- Mature outlook on work ethics and responsibilities.
- Positive mentor and model of best practices.
- Adept at building strong partnerships at all levels of the organization.
- Collaborative and team centric.
- Uncompromising ethics and unwavering integrity.
- Champion of high standards, pushing for progress, embracing change, and challenging the status quo.
- Willing to uphold the values of Cloud Chamber.
We are Cloud Chamber: a collaborative team of inspired minds who create games together. We strive to make unique, entertaining, and thoughtful game experiences that engage the world.
We believe in the beauty and strength of diversity, in both the makeup of the studio and the nature of our thinking. Our focus on open communication and overall well-being allows each of us to strive for excellence in our work, and happiness in our lives.
We’re currently making the next BioShock. Our passion and love for this iconic franchise is what brought us together. The thrill and responsibility of creating the next iteration of such a beloved game is what keeps us going.
If all of this sounds as exciting to you as it is to us we’d love to meet you. Join us in creating worlds that move people.
Please note that 2K Games and its studios never use instant messaging apps or personal email accounts to contact prospective employees or conduct interviews. When emailing prospective employees we only use 2K.com email accounts.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.