Web Applications Developer
5 days ago
We’re recruiting a Web Application Developer for the Rebellion Group. Based in our studio in Oxford, you’ll be an essential part of the web team. We're looking for an avid gamer, a fan of our brand who is able to produce high quality code and web applications. You’ll be a highly experienced PHP developer with excellent OOP practices.
A bit about the company:
Founded in 1992, Rebellion is one of Europe’s biggest independent studios. Its flagship Sniper Elite series is renowned for its authentic stealth and sniping gameplay with more than 20 million players worldwide. 2000AD is synonymous with the absolute finest in British comic book art. With the acquisition of a $100m film studio and the world’s largest archive of English language comics, Rebellion continues to grow from strength to strength.
Rebellion now operates across books, comics, TV and film, but at its core it is still a leading developer and publisher of games. Whether it is the breathtaking intensity of Sniper Elite 4, the face-hugging terror of Aliens vs. Predator or the grindhouse frenzy of the Zombie Army series, our studios are revered for creating stand-out games designed to thrill.
What you'll be doing:
- Developing web applications and APIs to service both in-house tools as well as game backend services
- Working alongside our highly technical in-house game engine team
- Supporting other web projects as needed
- Documenting any and all development work
- Testing your and other developers’ work
- Managing your time on multiple projects
What we're looking for:
- A good knowledge of Laravel framework for PHP
- Highly experienced with web APIs and web protocols (HTTP, SSL, Web Sockets, SQL, JSON)
- Familiar with TDD and peer code review
- Thorough understanding of database design and optimisation
- Understanding of low level data types
Benefits of working at Rebellion:
- Holidays: 26 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (34 days total)
- Relocation: reasonable pre-agreed costs eg belongings, transport, non-refundable agency fees, etc
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 4%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction bonus: £2k for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Loans: Up to £1k interest free personal loans
- Free Stuff: fresh fruit, Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Hours: flexible start and finish times (core hours 10am-5pm with 7.5 working hours overall plus 1 hour for lunch)
Not to mention the general benefit of working for Rebellion, being part of a successful independent developer unique in size, stability and variety of in-house expertise, covering multiple projects, genres and platforms, with our own IP.