Weapon Concept Art Intern - VALORANT
Los Angeles, California, United States
10 days ago
As a Concept Artist at Riot you will bring cosmetic content to life. Drawing inspiration from as little as a napkin sketch or as much as a full-blown narrative concept, you will generate ideas and craft designs that are resonant, compelling and iconic. As a problem solver, first and foremost, you will help come up with visual solutions for game concepts
VALORANT is Riot’s take on a character-based tactical shooter (for more info on VALORANT click here! ). You will keep the players' experience in mind as you work with diverse teams to help build foundational ideas and concepts for VALORANT’s upcoming 3D content. You will work collaboratively with designers, writers, and producers to bring new worlds to life. You will also report to the Concept Art Lead.
- Work with Team and Art Leads to ensure concept outputs meet quality bar
- Ensure all concepts meet constraints / requirements of game needs
- Craft detailed concept art and orthographs for 3D artists and animators to implement into working game assets
- Work with artists and designers to create 2d assets that can easily be put into the game
- Currently enrolled in a college, university or non degree program
- Available to work full-time hours for 10-12 weeks at the indicated office during the summer
- Authorized to work in the U.S.
- Strong understanding of perspective and ability to paint in a first person FOV
- Experience working with Photoshop or other relevant painting/design tools
- Ability to showcase iterations and sketches in addition to the final rendered pieces.
- Strong linework and rendering skills
- Strong understanding of form and shape and ability to think in 3D
- Inclusion of references, notes, studies, different angles, how a player interacts with a character or place, and why design choices have been made
- Ability creating 3D block models to support concept work
- Experience creating previs VFX concepts
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will be looking at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this could be the role for you!
General Portfolio Advice:
- Please limit application submission to 1 role. You will automatically be considered for similar roles based on your portfolio
- Online format is preferred (Artstation, personal websites, etc.).
- If you have private work that is under NDA, please include the password in your application. Otherwise, we recommend you do not password protect your portfolio
- Test that your Portfolio or reel is accessible. Please include access to your portfolio on your resume in addition to the application form in case the link breaks
- Ensure your portfolio showcases your best work
- Fan Art? Sure! It shows your versatility as it relates directly to our art style
- Depending on the role, immersing yourself in the game to get the feel, tone and look can go a long way for your portfolio
Riot Internships are paid, and we offer relocation and housing support. You can expect subsidized meals and the ability to participate in our Play Fund, so you can broaden and deepen your knowledge of our players and community through games. The University Programs team also invites you to intern focused events so you can connect with your fellow interns and Rioters to make the most out of your experience.
Applications Close January 15th 11:59pm PT
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).