Visual Effects Artist
18 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games is looking for a mid-level Visual Effects Artist to join our team! This individual will be responsible for creating realtime VFX that work across gameplay, environment, and cinematics of our games.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates, designs, and implements real-time particle effects using both static and animating 2D/3D elements.
- Placing of visual FX across all areas of the game, including environmental and gameplay FX, and cinematics.
- Create FX textures (color, normal, specular, ambient occlusion, height, and incandescent maps.)
- Understands fundamentals of simulations in software packages like Houdini, Embergen or equivalent.
- Creates FX shaders with node-based shader networks.
- Creates simple geometry and UV sets.
- Optimizes FX for framerate and memory.
- Collaborates with other development departments to ensure that FX are implemented appropriately in the game engine.
- Understands and adds to the overall art style of game.
- Orchestrates FX events involving layering and timing of different FX to create a believable scene.
- Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience: Five plus years of professional experience or training, or an equivalent amount of education and experience.
- Proficient in Maya, competent working with joints and locators, keyframing, rigid body simulations, hard surface modeling, and UV mapping.
- Proficient in Photoshop for painting and editing textures.
- Proficient with nodebased shader networks.
- Knowledge of other visual effects software is a plus.
- Strong team skills and collaborative attitude.
- Strong observation skills and ability to use reference materials.
- Ability to work independently.
- Proficient Animation and timing skills.
- Solid traditional arts background a plus.
Does this sound like you? Submit your resume, cover letter, portfolio/reel to be considered. We look forward to reviewing your submission!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.