This job might no longer be available.
Stockholm Stockholms lan SE 104 60 Sweden
4 months ago
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning studio based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise, the Battlefront franchise, and the innovative game Mirror’s Edge.
We work through our 4 guiding values: Passion with Purpose, Creative Innovation, Everything Quality, and One Community. We recognise that our people are the backbone and driving force to our creative products. As such, we are dedicated in providing everyone the ability to express, learn, and be their very best with a common cause.
The VFX artists at DICE works with a wide range of tricks that contributes to almost all aspects of the game world. They work closely with content creators, environment artists, lighting artists and even sound designers. Many effects are triggered by gameplay elements, such as weapons, vehicles and player interaction. This requires a close collaboration with designers and software engineers. Effects are often very technical and tie into many aspects of our game engine, such as; scripting, rendering, gameplay and animation.
Here are some categories of effects:
- Particle-based – bullet impacts, explosions, weather
- Mesh/Shader-based – lightsabers, engine glows, muzzle flashes, debris, background fighting
- Simulations – water, pre-rendered smoke and explosions, destruction (baked and/or simulated in-engine), flow maps
- Post-like effects – optics, lens flare, drops on lens, health states
- Strong artistic qualities, excellent at interpreting reference and concept art.
- Solid appreciation and understanding of how things behave in real life. Has a strong sense for realistic appearance and believable motion.
- Broad understanding of technical aspects. Crafting with efficiency, and being mindful of performance constraints.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
- High sense of responsibility, self-motivation and passion. Speaks up when needed.
- Answers to the Lead VFX Artist as the day-2-day manager.
- Creating assets that live up to our visual and technical goals and targets.
- Review and feedback on content created by others, to make sure it works as intended and supports the effect work.
- Check and optimize the performance aspects incurred by the effects.
- Actively seek out feedback on their own work, with peers, leads and directors.
- Be structured; estimate work, update plans, submit good data into the branch.
- Gather reference and establish a goal for the task. Work with the Lead VFX Artist and Art/Design Director to get it approved.
- Create textures and 3D models to be used by the effects inside the engine.
- Placing effects in the environment or implement them on objects.
- Create simulations and animations in Maya, Houdini etc.
- Create and adjust shaders inside the Frostbite Editor.
- Set up advanced scripting logic for gameplay effects.
- Program HLSL, pixel and vertex shaders.
- Help develop future tools.
- Collaborate and discuss work with colleagues.
- Participate in playtests and feedback on the experience.