This job might no longer be available.
Virtual Production Lead Engineer
Larkspur, CA United States of America
9 months ago
Epic Games is in search of a Virtual Production Lead Engineer to empower the use of Unreal Engine and real-time technology in filmmaking. Virtual Production with Unreal Engine can play a role from previsualization all the way through to final post, blending traditional shooting techniques with performance capture, virtual reality, and interactive scene collaboration in service of the filmmaker’s vision.
As a Virtual Production Lead Engineer, you will lead the development effort of the Virtual Production team, collaborate with the product managers to drive the vision and plan feature delivery. You will collaborate with external teams of artists and engineers and assist their efforts with Unreal Engine to revolutionize the way movies and tv shows are made. This position requires great leadership skills, experience in Virtual Production, Vfx pipelines, or Virtual Reality. Must have strong software architecting and C++ programming skills and be ready to take on great challenges and make an impact on the film industry as a whole.
- Developing and driving the vision for the future of Virtual Production
- Leading a team of developers
- Work closely with external customers to provide creative solutions, resolve technical challenges, guide best practices, and enable them to achieve their goals.
- Apply experience and knowledge to help optimize Unreal Engine deployment for film and tv workflows in real-world situations.
- Clearly understand production requirements and translate them into recommendations for both external customers and internal Unreal Engine development.
- Assist Unreal Engine engineers at Epic Games with ongoing R&D, new features, and bug fixes.
- Create support documentation on the Unreal Developer Network website, as well as specialized support documentation, videos, and samples for virtual production.
- Participate in Unreal Engine licensee efforts, including but not limited to: live Unreal Engine demonstrations, pre- and post-license technical support, and Unreal Engine evangelization at trade shows.
- Travel as needed.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 and/or other game engine technology.
- Very strong programming background and C++ knowledge (core concepts & multithreading).
- Familiarity with virtual production and film/tv production workflows.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team in delivering high quality products.
- Comfort using multiple aspects of the Unreal Editor including the creation of sophisticated Blueprint scripts, Sequencer, and LiveLink is a plus.
- Some understanding of key virtual production and film/tv development areas such as 3D asset pipeline with USD, performance capture, encoded hardware devices, live video, and virtual reality is a plus.
- Ability to communicate complex technical issues via email or face-to-face.
- Desire to both teach others and learn new techniques.
- Openness to speak at one-to-many situations such as trade shows, Epic Dev Days, presentations at developer studios, etc.
- Willingness to travel.
This is going to be Epic!