This job might no longer be available.
VP of Legal
San Francisco, California, United States
6 months ago
We’re looking for a VP of Legal to help build, lead, and manage Discord’s legal, public policy, and trust and safety functions. You’ll play a central role in guiding Discord forward on key strategic issues as we continue to grow and scale. This is a role that will require a sophisticated understanding of complex legal and social issues as they relate to communication platforms and their dynamic regulatory landscape.
That’s a fancy way of saying you thrive at the intersection of law and society.
What you'll be doing
- Providing excellent legal advice across all areas of the law
- Working closely with the executive team on strategic decisions
- Helping with partnerships and commercial deals, handling public policy, litigation, and regulatory issues
What you should have
- At least 7 years of experience as an in-house attorney, preferably at a consumer technology company
- Deep expertise in at least two of the following areas:
- Product and privacy: you have a deep knowledge of regulatory investigations, GDPR, COPPA, consumer protection issues, and how to counsel product teams effectively
- Litigation and regulatory: you have deep experience in litigation, and a knowledge of ECPA and changes in Fourth Amendment doctrine
- Commercial and transactional: you’ve helped negotiate complex deals with partners and customers.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building a successful team, mentoring and coaching team members with all levels of experience
- Able to understand the business landscape and provide legal advice that’s sound and pragmatic
- Experience working at a fast-paced consumer-facing growth stage startup
- Passion for gaming and how games bring people together
- There’s something you’re passionate about (beside the law) that you could teach a class on