VP of Engineering
11 days ago
*remote positions available in CA, CO, FL, GA, MA, NH, TX, UT, VA, WA only
Company and Position Introduction
For two decades, Linden Lab has been a pioneer in the creation of virtual worlds and the metaverse. As maker of the Internet’s leading user-created virtual world and Second Life, Linden Lab remains on the forefront of virtual society building and developing businesses around the concepts of virtual land and currency. The company recently expanded to include TiliaPay, a registered money services business and fully licensed money transmitter that powers virtual economies.
Linden Lab is a company of creators, including engineers, artists, musicians, writers, game players and makers. We do things that no one else does, and we aren't afraid to take on complex challenges and create unique solutions.
The Second Life team uniquely reflects our Second Life Residents. All of us are united in our dedication to creating the future of virtual experiences. Just as in Second Life, we advocate for an open, collaborative and inclusive culture, and we continually engage with our wonderfully diverse virtual community.
In this VP Engineering role, you will own the technical and architectural roadmap of Second Life and advocate for robust and lasting strategy as a part of the Second Life Leadership team. You’ll interact with senior Linden Lab leadership, and apply strong judgement and analysis toward important business decisions. Equally important, you’ll manage and coach your engineering teams; leading by example while collaborating with a group of people you enjoy working with. The ideal candidate has passion and a positive demeanor; a history of managing successful teams of engineers, as well as solid experience with/in large-scale distributed system environments, particularly using c++, Linux and AWS.
Specifically, you will…
- Report to the CEO, and partner with the VP of Product, VP of Product Ops, and VP of Marketing to define the strategic future of Second Life to achieve business objectives
- Be responsible for building out the highly complex technology infrastructure of Second Life.
- Own and manage the architectural roadmap; setting the vision and strategy for technology, and distilling it into successfully releasing the product on time
- Anticipate technology scale and capability challenges and communicate clear, proactive plans to address these challenges
- Lead four teams of thirty-plus engineers; Manage and mentor four direct reports
- Build a positive work environment while moving the team beyond their comfort zone to do quality work on deadline
- Take ownership of team productivity: remove roadblocks and identify and implement improvements to our process and procedures
- Continuously strive toward operational excellence, leveraging existing talent, and using well-defined metrics and best practices
- Maintain rapport with existing vendor relationships
- Maintain community relationships directly with customers at various user groups
You will have...
- Well developed business sense that allows prioritizing to drive user growth and revenue
- Proven ability to set the vision and strategy for technology and operations and to produce an effective roadmap
- Deep understanding of AWS and cloud architecture
- A passion for leading, mentoring and motivating people
You will be…
- Comfortable with technology scale and associated architectural challenges and experience proactively addressing them
- Technical by training but know the human element of managing and inspiring effective teams
- A great leader, team builder, and problem solver
- An effective mentor and guide for a large team of technical talent
- Able to estimate work units to to manage the development process
- Able to broker relationships across non-technical and external teams and to promote a culture of self-start and accountability
- Effective managing a culturally diverse, distributed team with remote employees across multiple time zones
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent academic training and experience.
- Experience stepping into established technical organizations and quickly gaining respect and skillfully implementing a robust, effective development practice
- Experience with successfully building large-scale, global internet technologies in AWS
- 10+ years of experience in software development
- 5+ years experience managing teams
- Experience managing 30+ engineers
No travel required
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use the computer and communicate with coworkers in an office environment. The employee frequently is required to stand or sit to complete work and may occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
We strongly believe that different backgrounds and ideas are a competitive advantage; we hire candidates of any race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital or family status, disability, Veteran status, and any other status. Linden Lab is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Fine Print :
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this job. They are not intended to be construed, as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.