VP of Development
11 days ago
Demiurge Studios is looking for an experienced operations and development leader to drive the company’s next phase of growth and new game creation.
As a member of Demiurge’s executive management team, you will lead operations for our game development organization. These teams are working on a mix of original titles and co-development engagements with external clients. You are an expert on the topics of project management, staff management, and game delivery. Your focus will be on ensuring outstanding outcomes along with high employee engagement, growth, and health. Most importantly, you are as enthusiastic about growing a company as you are about creating amazing gaming experiences for players!
In this role you will report to the CEO and collaborate with the heads of Product, Finance, People, and Strategy. Your reports will include the Directors of Engineering, Design, Art, Production, QA, and IT.
Please note, relocation assistance or remote work may be available for this role.
- Provide motivational leadership for the studio through involvement, personal relationships, active communication, and dedication.
- Collaborate with other members of the senior management team to achieve Demiurge’s business goals while nurturing the company’s culture.
- Directly manage the discipline heads for Production, Engineering, Art, Design, QA and IT in a matrix organization.
- Collaborate with the Product Team to outline a roadmap and build a development organization that can deliver it.
- Promote a culture of healthy accountability while maximizing employee potential and fostering pride in their accomplishments.
- Organize and participate in studio operational & business reviews. Present status, key metrics, and risk mitigations for each initiative within the studio.
- Oversee Demiurge’s project and product development roadmaps for features, product launches, and live operations.
- Work with Production and discipline leads to solve staffing puzzles across multiple projects, while balancing Demiurge’s business priorities and clients’ interests.
- Collaborate with the Production Team and others to bring key innovation & development. processes to Demiurge, including product exploration, green light, and stage gate processes.
- Work with the Production Team to develop metrics to define and track development delivery and quality.
- Support continuous improvement efforts throughout the company via direct reports and influence leadership.
- Conduct operational reviews with development teams, establish best practices, and mentor teams as they seek innovative solutions which benefit players and support team health.
- Validate planning and execution processes for each of the studio’s development teams, including scope, efficiency, dependencies, and risk.
- Help the development teams and product leaders navigate tradeoff decisions among quality, budget, and schedule.
- Consistently raise the creative and execution performance bars by developing talent, recruiting, and creating a high-functioning, player-centric studio culture.
- Sculpt and oversee the talent roadmap, staffing strategy, succession plans, and career development for the entire development organization.
- Advise each discipline as they evolve their group’s reporting structure and career ladders.
- Partner with Business Development to negotiate outsourcing term sheets and contracts.
- Facilitate education, knowledge sharing, and collaboration throughout the studio.
- Strengthen all development discipline managers through coaching, training, and performance management.
- Work with Demiurge’s Finance Team, People Team and CEO to align the talent roadmap with the studio’s financial model and business goals.
- 10+ years of development experience in the video game industry.
- 6+ years in leadership roles with direct reports.
- Experience with all phases of product development and games-as-a-service: from initial concept development to product sunset.
- Mastery of Agile project management methodologies and related software tools.
- Ability to collaborate with senior executives and navigate matrixed organizations to ensure successful, supported outcomes.
- Action oriented! Passion, energy, enthusiasm to drive results and to rally others around them.
- Excellent verbal and written communications with all levels of employees in the studio.
- Ability to prepare and present business case recommendations to the executive team.
- Expertise using Excel to track, model, and analyze data to support business strategies.
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Outstanding analytical skills and sound judgment when working on issues related to technical challenges, staffing, and project management.
- Experience setting budgets, managing expenses, and assessing P&L statements.
- Social intelligence, strong interpersonal skills, and empathy for creative teams with varied backgrounds.
- Excellent change management skills: Comfortable with ambiguity and change, yet able to set priorities and execute on commitments.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Able to travel to Boston several times per year.
A steadily growing game production studio located in Boston, MA. Developing games is our passion and we bring over 20 years of expertise to our projects. The teams at Demiurge build fun, accessible games like our hit, Marvel Puzzle Quest. We also provide co-development services to larger, best-in-industry games such as Hearthstone Battlegrounds, Bioshock, Rock Band, and Mass Effect. Now is a great time to join Demiurge, as we are about to begin development on our next hit game!
Demiurge Studios is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to diversity, equity and inclusion. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, or Veteran status. Demiurge Studios also makes workplace accommodations for individuals with disabilities or special needs.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.