This job might no longer be available.
VP, Engineering - Foundation
12 days ago
At Unity Technologies, we believe that the world is a better place with more creators! The Unity Engine is a best-in-class platform for a variety of different interactive media experiences, ranging from console and phone games, to Hollywood film CGI, to ground breaking AR/VR interactive experiences and industrial simulation. As content becomes more interactive, dynamic, and real-time 3D there is a growing need for a technology stack accessible for all that can create seamless operations for content developers to service their players.
Unity Foundation Engineering is a group of engineering teams that are responsible for the very foundation of Unity’s products. These teams work on our fundamentals, our need-to-haves and it’s far-reaching and complex stuff! This role will be responsible for leading a number of highly effective engineering teams and helping them grow and deliver as we continue to scale and branch out into ever wider scope.
As a successful VP Foundation, you will have the ability to impact strategic plans, projects, our product, our users' happiness, and our employee satisfaction. In your everyday work, you will make critical decisions that cut across multiple teams, iterate on ideas with a wide range of partners, work with multiple feedback channels, and consistently learn.
As a leader, you are there to serve your team and help cultivate talent, deliver team results, and collaborate across teams.
What you’ll be doing
- Reporting directly to the VP Core Engineering, this person will manage a team of Senior Directors, Directors and Senior Managers across all of Foundation Engineering
- Build and lead a large best-in-class engineering group across a geographically and functionally diverse group of teams
- Drive for technological, business/commercial and architectural alignment across Core Engineering with a technical focus on foundational engine and editor aspects
- Disseminate the Core Engineering vision throughout Foundation in a way that simplifies decision making at all levels and enables alignment to our values, engineering principles and product goals
- In partnership with Core Engineering leadership; establish budgets, talent growth plans, critical metrics, OKRs and other operational elements that help drive performance
- Drive for efficiencies and productivity gains as team continues to scale
- Directly contribute to management and optimisation of Core Engineering’s contribution to Core Unity & Cloud’s P&L
- Build Unity-wide relationships and inspire leaders and teams across Foundation and Core Engineering to align technology priorities, team resourcing and product roadmaps
- Collaborate with other VPs, SVPs across Unity, representing Foundation
- Meet with external stakeholders and partners on technical alignment and commercial engagements
- Take ownership for people, execution, results and culture
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience in engineering leadership/executive roles managing multiple teams and functions
- Extensive experience in managing large distributed orgs and highly technical people managers
- Executive presence to hire and encourage key leadership talents within an engineering management group
- Holistic and detail-minded thinking, capable of autonomously deciding and issuing engineering directions in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable in C-suite presentations and stakeholder management
- Able to foster distraction free execution through calm, clear and thorough leadership of teams
- A measured and positive attitude around management, direction and organisational change
- Excellent multi-functional communication skill and work ethics to collaborate elsewhere in engineering, product, sales, and other Unity teams to drive successful releases
- People-first leadership skills
You might also have
- Engineering experience from a real-time software development background
- Confidence in working as a development peer in a Product led technical environment
- Experience of working with external partners and restrictive NDAs
- Experience of technical due diligence within a M&A process
- Experience of P&L management
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,800+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.