9 days ago
Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, supporting development of Fallout 76, and developing unannounced titles including partner projects and internal IP. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
Interested? Let's talk about who we're hiring for:
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced VFX Artist to join an exciting AAA project known worldwide! As a VFX Artist, your role will comprise of conjuring up mystical effects. If you’re interested in having your work prominently featured in a game played by hundreds of thousands every day, apply today!
A snapshot of your role:
- Create a broad range of stunning, real-time visual effects for the game, with an emphasis on magical effects
- Break down visual effects into component content types (particle FX, shader FX, mesh FX, post-process, animation, decal, lighting, etc.)
- Collaborate with internal and external designers and artists to drive key changes for new game features
- Use Photoshop, 3D Studio Max, and a robust set of proprietary tools to create fantastical effects
Sound like you? This is what we're looking for:
- 4+ years of experience within game development proven through a robust portfolio which showcases a strong range of visual effects
- Experience creating VFX pipelines
- Strong understanding of industry-standard software tools
- Ability to understand performance restraints and come up with optimization plans
- Proficient in node-based shaders, Photoshop, and 3D packages
- Experiencing developing pre-visualization or concept assets that can convey your vision before final asset execution
- Programming or scripting experience in any language (C++ / Python / HLSL)
- Animation background with experience using Houdini, Fume FX, Maya fluids tools, or Substance Designer
Please note, only those with professional game experience will be considered for this role, and all applications must include a portfolio.
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs:
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration, and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Flexible Hybrid and Remote Work Models:
With the goal to provide the best possible work environment for all, the majority of our team is working in a flexible hybrid work model from Vancouver and Victoria. The opportunity to work permanently remotely across Canada is also available for certain designated roles.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal-opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Only candidates that reside in Canada or are willing to relocate will be considered for this role. Additionally, although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.