Hey there! Moonshot is looking for a VFX Artist!
As an experienced voice on our VFX team, you’ll be responsible for large chunks of our overall VFX development. You’ll collaborate with teammates across all disciplines to build a wide variety of stylized VFX that create clear, satisfying gameplay as well as bring life, magic, and charm to our world and its inhabitants. You’ll also have the opportunity to further define an exciting visual style and personality for our VFX through everything from fun, punchy impacts that are exciting to see over and over to the awe-inspiring moments that punctuate critical highs and lows of the game. Finally, you’ll have room to take initiative on all parts of the VFX creation process, broadening what’s possible for our game and team.
Also, we think our game and our team are pretty heckin’ fun.
We love games and believe in their unique superpower to create personal, unforgettable stories that bring friends and the community closer together. We are building a culture of shared ownership where everyone gets a chance to weigh in and help set direction for the game. Our studio is in its early days, which means there’s tons of opportunity to have an impact on the overall direction of the company and who we are. Most importantly, we know our games will be at their best when a variety of voices, identities and perspectives go into their creation, so come join us!
What your day to day will look like…
- Create and implement stylized real-time VFX for characters, environments, UI, etc., as well as supplementary assets such as textures, models, and animations.
- Collaborate with other disciplines to ensure VFX are communicative and performant as well as really, really good-looking.
- Help us continue to improve our VFX and pipeline by adding your own skills and knowledge to the mix.
- Help to further define and establish a visual style for an all new IP/world.
- Puzzle-solving, but with sparkles.
Some of the things you bring to the table…
- Ability to take a loosely defined concept and own the creation and implementation of awe-inspiring visual effects.
- Experience creating stylized real-time VFX, textures, and meshes to match an existing style.
- Strong design awareness with a focus on gameplay clarity and feel.
- Solid animation and artistic principles such as visual hierarchy, shape language, and color theory.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and an ability to work with and embrace the diverse perspectives of other content developers and future players.
- Joy in game development and the role of VFX as both a design and art element.
- Experience in one or more related skills - real-time simulation software such as Houdini, hand-painted texturing, animation, or basic rigging.
- Previously shipped PC or console titles as a VFX artist.
- Desire to help the game industry to be more equitable and representative in both games and development.
- A portfolio or reel demonstrating your real-time VFX work.
- (Optional) A short (2-3 paragraph) cover letter answering the following questions:
- Which game has your favorite VFX of all time and what do you think makes them so successful?
- If you were one of the 12 Principles of Animation, which one would you be and why?
The base salary range for this position is $98,587 to $164,312 USD per year, which is associated with our level 3 salary band. The range listed for this position is just one component of Dreamhaven’s total compensation package for team members and exact compensation may vary based on skills and experience. Total compensation also includes equity, comprehensive benefits and will also include profit sharing in the future.
Moonshot is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate and welcome diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
Dreamhaven Candidate Privacy Notice