User Interface Artist Intern
Madison Wisconsin 53715 United States
10 days ago
PerBlue is seeking an aspiring User Interface (UI) Artist Intern to join our team for the summer of 2021. We’re a growing independent studio whose free-to-play midcore mobile games have been played by millions people around the world, including the award-winning Disney Heroes: Battle Mode .
Our cross-functional and collaborative team has experience across the videogame industry. Headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, we are also based remotely around the United States for an unmatched quality of life and work.
When you play games, do you ever think, “This could be better?” Has the layout of stat information in RPGs ever made you groan? Have you ever scrolled through the settings of an app and thought, “If I made this thing, I would have done it differently.” If you have, that’s the UI Designer in you, begging to make the world better.
Our ideal candidate has a true passion for games and for making the experience of playing games funner and easier for players. Maybe you love finding subtle ways to tell stories through context and animation, or maybe you just crave efficiency in the flow from one menu to another. Mobile RPGs heavily rely on user interface for almost every interaction, from narrative to gameplay to social interaction. The work our UI artists and developers do affects every part of the player experience, and relies on collaboration with software engineers, VFX artists, animators, and playtesters to function properly.
Maybe you have always wanted to do UI/UX for games. Maybe you’re a talented artist who loves games, but haven’t figured out a place where you can belong yet. So long as you’re humble, open to learning and honest feedback about your progress, and curious about how a team of talented people make games, you’re exactly who we want.
- Create and modify icons for live and developing games
- Work with UI Lead refining mockups for new game features
- Create production-quality assets from basic wireframe designs
- Export UI assets and work with Front End developers to get them working in-game
- Join playtests and give feedback to improve games
- Portfolio demonstrating impressive understanding of essential 2D art concepts (color, shape, composition, etc)
- Rising junior, senior, or 2021 graduate pursuing a degree or equivalent in Graphic Design, video games, or relevant field
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment juggling multiple tasks and projects
- Open to giving and receiving honest feedback
- Curiosity about game development, from initial design to end-user experience.
- Fluency with Photoshop or comparable art software
- Familiarity with Illustrator
- Experience with Unity 3D or other game engine
- Experience with Motion Graphics (After Effects or similar software)
What You’ll Learn
- How to interpret game design documents into usable visual designs
- Collaboration with game designers and engineers
- How to think about user experience and create designs that aren’t only functional, but that excite players and convey worldbuilding
- Secrets of professional development that will develop your art skills and make your work more efficient.
This is a full-time, paid internship, 40 hours per week for up to 15 weeks during the summer of 2021. Our interns receive a great work environment where you’ll work on live games, get lunch and snack box deliveries, receive mentorship from experienced mobile game devs, and more!
No agencies, please. We regret that we cannot consider visa sponsorship or candidates based outside of the United States for this position at this time.