User Experience Researcher
Halifax NS ca
8 days ago
Ubisoft Halifax is looking for you, User Research Specialist.
Do you like mobile games? Do you ever wonder why some games become a success and others do not? If you have a passion for games and understand the mobile game market, free-to-play, and are interested in finding the answer to what makes a game successful, than we would love to hear from you.
Ubisoft Halifax’s User Research Lab (established in August 2016) is looking for a new User Researcher Data Specialist. You will work closely with the User Research Manager to collaborate with production teams on a large variety of exciting projects with teams from different studios around the world to help them improve the user experience of their games. You will also collaborate with other user research teams within our organization. Work locally, think globally.
The User Research Specialist will develop surveys with test objectives in mind, collecting and organizing data from playtests and watching for trends and unexpected behaviour, and using that data to form a hypothesis regarding the playtest, as well as to prove or disprove any existing theories. They will work with the team to form a cohesive playtest report, with ownership over the data representation, presenting it in clear and effective ways. The UR Specialist also works closely with Data Analysts on projects, using game telemetry to supplement our survey data from playtests.
The daily life of a User Experience Researcher at Ubi Halifax
- Assist team in maintaining and communicating with the list of play testers in order to schedule tests;
- Collaborate with UR Manager to select the appropriate methodology, define test measures, and create relevant tools in order to evaluate if the players’ experience is in line with the design intentions of the various productions;
- Ensure playtest methodology is understood, and adequate preparation work (e.g. pilot playtests, developing the checklists and questionnaires) is done prior to each playtest;
- Observe the playtest and take detailed notes in accordance with the established research methodology;
- Compile and efficiently analyze multiple sources of collected data (including observation, telemetry, etc.) forming hypotheses and actionable insights on players’ experience;
- Prepare detailed reports and presentations of said data to the applicable stakeholders (Internal/External);
- Follow up with stakeholders to provide clarification surrounding findings;
- Remain up to date with game design, data visualization and User Research trends (training, conferences, new/best practices, etc.);
Data Specific Tasks:
Are to be solely completed by the User Research Data Specialist (URDS). And cannot be completed by employees with out the applicable required experiences/qualifications
- 2-3 week Long Playtests: While conducting- primary responsibilities the URDS is to be monitoring/maintaining incoming player Data.
- Subsequently compiling all applicable data and forming a hypothesis in accordance with our standards. This will be compiled through group discussion/input – that is primarily carried by the URDS.
- URDS is then responsible for the ‘critical decision making’ in presenting, formulating, and conveying applicable data to the necessary stake-holders.
- Post-playtest Follow-ups: conducted with external stake-holders to provide clarification surrounding the aforementioned findings.
Playtests including Telemetry: Working/communicating closely with external Data Analysts as well as parsing telemetry data. Working on data-heavy tests supporting extended user research playtests.
Reports to the User Research Manager for the purposes of maintaining transparency and keeping the team ‘up-to-date’ on the ongoing tasks within the team.
Occasionally will report to World-wide User Research Mobile Manager (The direct report of User Research Manager) – and their applicable subordinates.
- EXTENSIVE Excel
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Tableau (Data visualization software)
- OBS (Video Editing Software)
- Proprietary Tools
What it takes to make it
- Highly proficient in written and oral communication capabilities.
- Masters Degree in Psychology, Human Computer Interaction, Statistics. or other related field/If not a Masters then with work experience exceeding 6 years.
- At least 3 years’ experience in qualitative / quantitative data management.
- Experience demonstrating advanced interpersonal capabilities.
- A deep understanding of Microsoft Excel for collecting and presenting playtest data.
- Experience working within the Scientific Methodology.
- Strong analytical and synthesis skills.
- Comfort in writing reports, graphics and representations of statistical data.
- Able to adapt and remain flexible within a highly dynamic and changing work environment.
- Video game industry experience considered an asset.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.