User Experience Researcher
9 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Insomniac Games is searching for a User Experience Researcher, responsible for supporting user research studies to improve the development of game content in terms of usability and player experience. This individual will collaborate with researchers and the development team to achieve buy-in and prepare for research studies. This role includes assisting the research team in delivering reports summarizing both qualitative and quantitative feedback for the development team. This position is required to travel to usability tests approximately once every two months.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Collaborates with the development and external research teams to define the goals of the test including areas of concern, player demographic, and content to be tested.
- Conducts research studies including: site layouts, site maps, navigation design, content inventories, information organization models, error handling and icons with a focus on specific game content, balance and usability.
- Installs the latest builds and works with IT and team members to ensure the test will run without any technical issues.
- Recruits internal employees to participate in early development tests.
- Collaborates with recruitment agencies to find external participants that meet criteria for the player demographic.
- Creates surveys from templates and questions supplied by the research and design teams
- Moderates usability studies including one-on-one sessions, focus group interviews, and multi-participant playtests.
- Takes notes during tests to identify trends including player behaviors and usability issues.
- Ensures the delivery of reports on a consistent and timely basis.
- Presents reports for both internal and publisher run studies to the development team
- Queries data and creates dashboards for development team, while contributing to data organization and event definitions.
- Generates data-driven insights from game telemetry data to inform stakeholders, other research teams, and development team.
- Ability to synthesize feedback from multiple datasets including survey data, telemetry, interviews, and video.
- Runs longitudinal tests including diary studies and telemetry analysis.
- Identifies contributing issues including game system dynamics and player exploits.
- Develops surveys for studios outside of game testing to improve workflow processes.
- Other duties will be assigned
Education and/or Experience: One to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Emphasis in psychology, human computer interaction, human factors or related field is required.
Technical Skills: Mastery of Microsoft Office suite of products, Google Spreadsheets and survey software such as Qualtrics and Survey Monkey.
- Self-directed and executes tasks with little supervision.
- Experience with multiplayer games is a plus.
If this sounds like a good fit, please submit your resume, cover letter, and portfolio link below. We look forward to reviewing your submission!
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.