User Experience Engineer
13 days ago
Universe Sandbox is a space and gravity simulator masquerading as a video game with over 800,000 unit sales and an overwhelmingly positive 95% rating on Steam.
Giant Army is looking for a creative and highly technical software engineer to help implement and polish the interface that controls the universe.
This position will work closely with our creator & designer, and with support from the rest of the team, to execute our vision of a clean, minimalistic, accessible interface. Universe Sandbox development is one-half UI and one-half simulation; you should have a passion for both.
We embrace responsive design to use the same UI and codebase across all platforms (currently on Desktop, VR/AR, while working toward mobile and console releases). You should have an eye for interface animations, and take delight in pixel-perfect polish and consistency.
You might be the perfect candidate if you've ever agonized over blurry UI elements that are supposed to be crisp, or a UI transition that’s slightly too fast. We take heavy inspiration from Google’s Material Design system.
This is a full-time, remote position working with a 100% remote team.
Join us. We’re making something incredible that’s unlike anything else.
- Implement UI that makes our complex simulation accessible, based on our designer’s mockups and style guide
- Overall design has been established and there’s a backlog of UI to be implemented, but there will always be edge cases that need design help
- Maintain and proactively iterate on UI in our Unity project
- Constantly evaluate motion, spacing, and timing to create a smooth experience
- Stay current on Unity UI tech and trends
- Think critically about and help us solve complex UX problems
- Where does a new property go? What is it named? How do you show that it’s related to another property?
- Strong C# skills
- Experience with creating user interfaces in Unity (we use uGUI, but are looking to UI Toolkit for the future)
- Excited about clean design and elegant user experiences
- Strong attention to detail and a love of polish & iteration
- Passion for science, astronomy, and real-time interactive simulations
- Love of fantastical what-if scenarios: what-if.xkcd.com (note citation #6 on 148)
- Ability to see things from our user’s perspective
- Enjoys video games; experience with Steam
Giant Army is a profitable company wholly owned by Universe Sandbox’s original creator. Our headquarters are in Seattle, Washington, USA, with team members across the United States, Germany, Denmark, and Australia.
Team members enjoy a flexible, collaborative environment that values work-life balance. We are independently published and release updates on our own (relaxed) schedule.
Giant Army provides generous paid time off, new hardware/software reimbursements, and other benefits.
We pursue features that get us excited about science. We strive to create an accessible experience that can’t be found anywhere else.
As a fully remote team since 2011, we rely on Google Workspace (Gmail, Calendar, Docs, Spreadsheets, Meet), Slack, Groove, GitHub, ZenHub, Unity, and WordPress.
We believe science and video games are for everyone, regardless of identity, and we’re committed to making an inclusive workplace. We encourage anyone who shares our passion for space to apply.
Universe Sandbox is a physics-based space simulator that allows you to create, destroy, and interact on an unimaginable scale. Experiment with gravity, climate, and collisions to reveal the beauty of our universe and the fragility of our planet.
It’s more than a game; it’s a way of experiencing and learning about reality in a way that’s never been done before.
Universe Sandbox is available on Windows, Mac, Linux, and VR with mobile in development and future platforms planned. We’ve sold over 750,000 copies and have an “Overwhelming Positive" rating on Steam with 95% positive user reviews.
If we don't have an active job opening that fits your skillset, but if working on Universe Sandbox is your dream job, send us an email telling us why and we'll at least send you back a reply.