Unreal Engine Developer
10 days ago
In this volunteer position you will be working closely with other members of the Coding department to develop C++ code and/or Blueprint scripts for the Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). Keep in mind that we are using Epic Game’s Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) to develop the game, and knowledge of how C++ code and/or Blueprint scripts interacts with UE4 is required. Knowledge of both C++ programming and Blueprint scripting in UE4 is recommended, but knowledge of one of the two is required.
Communication is key to a smooth and efficient pipeline, you must be able to communicate clearly and effectively with other team-members and not be afraid to ask should any problems arise. We are an English-speaking team, so English fluency is a must.
If you are comfortable with teaching, you may be called upon to aid the more junior members of the team with any relevant skills that match your skill set.
Other duties include: attending Slack meetings (Slack is an instant messaging we communicate with), reporting your progress to the Programming team on a weekly basis and following team policies.
Minimum Skill Requirements:
- Either C++ programming experience in Unreal Engine 4 and/or strong Blueprint scripting experience in Unreal Engine
- Providing clear and legible code
- Online communication, team-collaboration skills, and English fluency
- A passion for coding and a dedication to creating AAA quality games
Recommended Skill Requirements:
- Knowledge of both C++ programming and Blueprint scripting in Unreal Engine
- Git Version Control experience
- AI programming/scripting
- At least 1 Unreal Engine project (using C++ code and/or Blueprint scripts) prepared to show prior to the interview. If none, we can provide an assignment before or at the interview.
Minimum Hardware Requirements:
- The ability to run Unreal Engine 4 ( https://www.unrealengine.com/register )
- The ability to run a C++ IDE. Visual Studio Community Edition ( https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/ ) with the Unreal Engine package is recommended.
- The disk space and Internet Speeds to download (pull) several GB of game files, as well as upload (push) files to an online version control repository
All of your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Epoch Games is a volunteer-based, all-online, global game development team. We have no centrally-located headquarters and are unincorporated at this time. The founding members were modders developing the total conversion Middle Earth Roleplaying Project (MERP) mod for the Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim:
Currently Epoch Games is developing The Lays of Althas: Sundered Order (LoA:SO). LoA:SO is an in-development indie open-world RPG set in an original fantasy world. The game is being developed using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 4 (UE4):
For more information about the game, please check out our IndieDb page:
NOTE: Although Epoch Games does have a formal office at the listed address, we have a fully-online team at this time. Communication is mostly done via Slack (an instant messaging application) and Trello (an online project collaboration tool).