This job might no longer be available.
13 days ago
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio and GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
Sumo Sheffield is made up of a diverse mix of fantastic people, although sometimes, some groups are still under-represented. We are working to remove obstacles that can make it difficult for those groups to progress their careers in the games industry. We welcome applications from under-represented people in the gaming industry, including, but not limited to BAME, LGBQT+, women, people with physical disabilities, neurodiversity or mental health issues, and parents or carers.
The role @ Sumo
We are looking for a talented UX Designer to join the team at Sumo Digital Sheffield. The ideal candidate will be able dissect a high-level games design and break it down into distinct components with an eye to creating a natural and intuitive flow through the game’s content.
Within this role you will:
- Be a pivotal role that bridges the gap between design, concept and UI whilst constantly striving to put a ‘player’ first experience.
- An information architect collaborating with systems and game designs to present information and data to our players in an easy to digest manner.
- Responsible for guiding the player through the games journey and meta. Teaching them how it works and helping them explore and engage with the world and systems.
- Understand and implement features that are designed to retain players while avoiding traditional ‘free-to-play’ mechanics.
- Acting as a communication corner stone between all studio disciplines whilst constantly exploring and refining the game flow to overcome our daily challenges.
- Track the games analytics to identify areas of player drop off that can be improved through iteration of the game’s UX.
You need to have:
- An ability to quickly develop ideas as sketches, wireframes and interactive prototypes.
- Experience in user testing, player analysis and iteration.
- Previous mobile game development experience. (experience in free-to-play a bonus).
- Demonstrate a clear understand of mobile game interaction and behaviours within any given target audience or demographic.
- Familiar with mobile game design and the performance constraints of modern mobile devices.
- An open approach to collaboration and feedback from others.
- Excellent communication skills never afraid to ask questions.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.