16 days ago
We are Fatshark
We are a critically acclaimed Swedish game development studio with about 150 experienced and skilled employees out of Stockholm. We are most well-known for developing the Warhammer: Vermintide franchise, but have also helped develop a number of AAA titles and will soon be launching the highly anticipated game Warhammer 40,000: Darktide.
We have grown quite a bit over the last few years but we still embrace the same values that we started with and still think of ourselves like one big family with fun at the center. We are known for our crazy internally designed socks, hackweeks, use Friday afternoons for studio-wide “social play” time and our CEO is not beneath fixing the coffee machine himself. It all adds up to an approachable, fun, passion-driven yet communal environment for us to work in.
Working as a UI programmer at Fatshark is a little bit different than at many other studios. We don't rely on third party UI libraries or dependencies like Scaleform, Qt, Flash, or HTML. Instead, our interfaces are completely programmatic and fully integrated in our gameplay code - which is written in the Lua scripting language.
As a UI programmer you would be working as a part of the team on our released title Warhammer: Vermintide 2. Your main focus will be developing new feature sets. Taking initiative and coming up with creative solutions around the features you develop are relevant for this role and encouraged by the team.
The qualities we're looking for in a UI programmer are many and varied. It is important that you have a keen eye for visual quality and have a good grasp of the fundamentals of good design - both technical and visual. But it is also important that you're a good team player, as you would work closely with our UX- and game designers to iterate on the implementation of the new UI.
What we offer
Here at Fatshark, we do what we love most: design high-profile games for PCs and consoles. We offer you:
- A playful, friendly and inclusive work place
- Hands-on production environment with an emphasis on cooperative/multiplayer games
- Opportunities for personal growth with varied projects, experienced co-workers and recurring hack weeks
- Developing games with our own engine - Stingray
- Regulated flex time and paid overtime
- Occupational pension
- Yearly health benefits (for gym membership & more)
- Health checkups once every 2nd year
- Yearly bonus program
- Office located in central Stockholm
The kinds of tasks you will be working on
You should consider yourself a programmer in the first case - more than a designer with code skills, as you will be working on implementing technically complex UI, in video games with high performance demands.
While Fatshark is a collaborative, creative environment - you will still have a great deal of autonomy in how you design your code’s architecture. It is the responsibility of every programmer at Fatshark that the code you write today won’t trip you over in six month’s time. The day to day work consists of equal parts developing new features, fixing bugs, and maintaining your legacy code base.
We do consider the whole of the code team at Fatshark to be greater than the sum of its parts. From every candidate, we want to see a drive to improve not only themselves, but the rest of the organization. We look forward to learning a lot from you, and help us understand how to find the best opportunity for you to achieve the highest impact at Fatshark.
What you'll do
- Continuously develop and maintain our UI framework
- Write code for menu systems and user interfaces based on design
- Work closely together with artists and designers to create sustainable solutions for our products
- At least 3+ years of experience programming UI for games
- A good grasp for tools and workflows of collaborative, creative programming (source control software like Subversion, Perforce, Git, and Mercurial)
- Familiarity with Lua (or ability to pick up a new language and get comfortable with it quickly)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a working experience to make up for it
- Professional experience with programming UI on other platforms (Web and/or Mobile)
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies and Jira
- You have shipped games as a part of the game development studio
- You enjoy playing and developing games
- It is considered a plus if you also have a portfolio of personal projects to show
Most of us are currently working temporarily from home, but our office is not completely closed and parts of the onboarding can be done there. This position will eventually require you to work from our office.
We look forward to review applications and will be interviewing candidates continuously until the position has been filled.
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Start: ASAP 2021
Form of Employment: full-time, permanent