PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Our UI/UX Department is growing at Insomniac Game, and we are looking for a talented UI/UX Manager to join our team. As a UI/UX Manager you will be responsible for maintaining the UI/UX vision for one of our games, ensuring the well-being of team members, and working to make industry-inspiring player experiences that are approachable, accessible, and immersive for everyone. This role provides a critical component of the studio’s mission to create games that have a positive and lasting impact on people’s lives by helping foster an environment of craft excellence, collaboration, and positivity.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Lead a large cross-functional UI/UX project team to generate work that meets and exceeds project goals and aspirations.
- Supervise direct reports on the UI/UX team and participate in strategic decision-making as a member of the department’s leadership group.
- Work cross-functionally to develop technically feasible solutions that meet the player’s needs and remain viable in the face of evolving constraints.
- Provide coaching, performance evaluation, career development support and opportunities for team members.
- Collaborate with project management and leads to maintain a team schedule that meets project goals and deadlines while supporting a sustainable team workload.
- Structure and staff team appropriately, including acting as hiring manager and ensuring efficient onboarding of new employees.
- Proactively plan the “future team” and what skills, tools, training, and recruiting will be needed to succeed.
- Drive the UI/UX conversation in creative leadership meetings; providing strategic guidance, tactical know-how, and accountability for excellent results.
- Maintain thorough understanding of team’s cross-functional workflows and systems, providing guidance to team members and anticipating problems before they arise.
- Continuously verify build quality and stability; regularly evaluating content and sharing feedback to ensure the team is meeting project/milestone delivery goals and is having a positive impact on the player experience.
- Work with the UI/UX team to develop, refine, and document best practices.
- Advocate relentlessly for our players and the end-to-end user experience.
- Ensure that all complaints and concerns related to inappropriate or unprofessional conduct in the workplace are addressed immediately to foster a safe work environment.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Directly supervises a large cross-functional UI/UX project team, typically comprised of more than 4 developers.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance and motivating team; addressing complaints and resolving problems in collaboration with department leadership.
Education and/or Experience:
- Eight plus years of experience and/or a combination of related education/experience.
- Familiarity with commercial content creation packages like Adobe CC & Maya.
- Proficient with common workplace collaborative software like Microsoft Office, Confluence & Jira.
- Experience shipping a AAA game in a lead, supervisor or manager role preferred.
- 3D and/or Coherent experience also a major bonus.
- Strong instincts for game design and innovative user experiences.
- Passion for game accessibility and player advocacy.
- Great interpersonal skills and the ability to work in and contribute to a collaborative environment.
- Ability to present information in a way that is actionable and easily understandable for all audiences.
- Dedication towards individual and team growth.
- Ability to enhance team deliverables or processes beyond assigned tasks.
Insomniac Games prides itself on developing experiences that leave positive and lasting influences on players’ lives — a mission we achieve by fostering diversity and inclusivity at our studios. We are a team focused on creating thrilling games and elevating our creative talent. Insomniac provides our teams an environment where they are at the heart of the experiences we make. As part of PlayStation, Insomniac Games is recognized globally for hit games such as Marvel’s Spider-Man, Ratchet & Clank, Spyro the Dragon, and Resistance.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.