1 month ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for an experienced UX/UI Designer to join our growing studio. We have an exciting project and are looking for a key hire to assist with UX design, as well as the development of the project. Working with our Designers, programmers, and artists, you will help conceive of, iterate on, and implement the final UI/UX for the game.
Do you want to build compelling game experiences that put your design skills to work? Have you designed, prototyped, and delivered user interfaces? Do you love working collaboratively with a small team of talented designers, artists, and programmers to create ambitious user experiences? If so, this role could be for you!
- Work closely with and understand the needs of various stakeholders to create UX and UI solutions on a variety of different features.
- Create and iterate on UI mockups for different menus and in-game systems while maintaining a consistent art style and adhering to established guidelines.
- Proactively find ways to improve the game’s user experience, both in-game and in the front end.
- Advocate for improving the accessibility, usability, and inclusiveness of all UI systems.
- Strong knowledge of mockup/prototyping software (ex: Figma, Miro, Adobe XD, etc.).
- Able to deliver creative solutions within constraints of the project’s scope and toolset.
- Provide team-facing documentation to inform and guide the work of other disciplines.
- Review and incorporate feedback on your work from leadership and other designers.
- 4+ years of professional experience in UX/UI design.
- Strong understanding of console UX/UI and usability principles.
- At least two shipped AAA products (PC, Console, or Mobile).
- Proven capability to work on multidisciplinary project teams, able to handle changing priorities throughout a product life cycle.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Experience creating UX designs, screenflow, motion graphics, UI art, style guides, and supporting concepts.
- Have a good understanding of PC and Console control paradigms.
- A degree in design, human-computer interaction, cognitive science, human factors, or related fields.
- Experience designing player onboarding and tutorialization features.
- Experience creating and/or conducting user research activities.
- Experience playing a variety of strategy and action-adventure games.
- Experience with multiple areas of design (systems design, level design, UX/UI,.)
- Understanding of games as a service and the UX design of online portals.
- Traditional 2D sketching and composition skills
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.