UI Technical Designer
7 days ago
Why join us?
- You want to be part of the new DON’T NOD Montreal narrative game, led by key members of the team behind Life is Strange, and bring your talent to the project;
- You want to join a diverse and committed team, both in its culture and in the content of the games it creates;
- You're looking for an environment where you'll be able to interact with all team members in a simple and efficient manner;
- You'd like to put your User Interface (UI) design skills at the service of original and bold new systems to support a strong narrative experience.
What you'll be doing
Reporting to the Montreal studio’s Lead Designer, your role will be to work tightly with the design, programming and art teams to be responsible for design, graphical production and implementation in engine and on all UI elements - in-game Heads-Up Display (HUD), menus, User Experience (UX) flows, widgets, iconography, typography, etc. - on our current project.
Your mission will be to:
- Be in charge of every step of UI content creation, from its initial conceptualization to the final polish;
- Analyze all the design needs, maintain an artistic consistency and always keep in mind accessibility standards;
- Establish early wireframes and mockups to help realize the UX vision;
- Prototype UI features (in collaboration with programmers and/or technical designers when required) to implement them in the game's flow and overall experience;
- Create all necessary graphical assets (icons, fonts, animations, etc.) required to finalize the UI;
- Constantly iterate on your craft and adjust assets according to playtest’s feedback;
- Always be aware of general design principles and maintaining a UX mindset to solve design problems;
- Be able to recover current in-game UI elements, continue their implementation and/or bring them to shippable quality.
The must-have skills we're looking for
- Proven experience on shipping at least one title in the video game industry as a UI designer or similar position;
- Proven experience with Unreal Engine 4/5, good knowledge of Blueprint & the UMG framework;
- Strong understanding of a game’s high-level vision: both its design and artistic identities;
- Solid graphic design skills and an artistic approach to maintaining consistent visual aesthetics;
- Bringing rationality in the process of creating content is key to the role. Additionally, strong rigor and analytical mindset are primordial, as is a good capability to react to a fast iterating environment and being flexible to change;
- Knowledge of the key ingredients of narrative games such as dialogues, contextual interactions, character development, story branching, etc.;
- Seasoned user of design-oriented softwares such as Figma, Miro, Adobe XD, Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator;
- Tech savvy enough to be able to build a minimum viable product without or with few support from programmers.
What would set you apart?
- A genuine motivation to collaborate within a remote and onsite team environment;
- Solid ability to present, collaborate, and communicate with the different team members;
- An ability to push the boundaries of the role by being autonomous and having a creative approach to problem solving;
- Excellent knowledge of usability principles and a focus on UX;
- A demonstrated understanding of the game production constraints;
- Keeping up-to-date with UI trends and high-quality benchmarks as references;
- Comfortable with optimization pass on assets (texture size, runtime UI cost, optimized UMG hierarchies & widget handling, etc.).
At DON’T NOD Montreal, we celebrate diversity and inclusivity within our games as well as our teams. We commit to equal opportunities and non-discrimination in our hiring process. We are respectful of the principles of equal employment opportunities, and that is why we encourage women, people of all sexual orientations and gender identities, First Nations people, people living with a disability, visible minorities, as well as any other person who can contribute to the diversity of our studio to apply for our positions.
We build close-knit teams to encourage a fulfilling work environment for all our employees.
Our teams enjoy a range of benefits, including flexibility, a generous holiday bank, time off, training and career development support, and a personalized expense account.
Additional perks include:
- The possibility of working anywhere in Quebec;
- Insurance and virtual healthcare coverage as of Day 1;
- Partial refund of transport fees (OPUS, BIXI and parking);
- Access to gym and fitness classes as well as a multi-sports field in summer which turns into an ice rink in winter;
- Referral bonus that goes the extra mile;
- RRSPs with the employer's contribution.
Created in 2008, DON’T NOD is an independent studio which creates and develop AA games in various genres : adventure ( Life is Strange , Tell Me Why , Twin Mirror ), action ( Remember Me ) and RPG ( Vampyr ). Each new game is an original creation with unique narrative gameplay experience and game mechanics.
In 2020, DON’T NOD expanded internationally by creating its first branch in Montreal.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.