This job might no longer be available.
Gameplay Engineer - Maxis
17 days ago
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it’s about amazing our fans. Taking risks, collaborating with each other and daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
As a Software Engineer on The Sims, your job will be to architect, implement, and maintain user-facing content for the Sims using Python and C++.
- Implementing gameplay systems written in Python and C++ that are data-driven:
- Sim behaviors: interaction with the world, other Sims, and objects (how would a Flirty Sim behave differently on a pool club versus a bar).
- Ability to build creative real-life archetypes within a simulation game (e.g. romance, careers, postures).
- Runtime optimization for performance and memory usage (scaling a simulation engine to include all aspects of human life).
- Work with the team on continuous improvement of the data-driven framework that brings designs to life.
- Write software requirements and technical design documentation.
- Work with franchise leaders to continue building unique content for a game that delivers to a large demographic of simulation player patterns.
- Excellent game systems programming skills. Demonstrate technical abilities with projects implemented in C++, Python, C#, Java.
- Experience with working in Python encouraged.
- Experience with Windows platform and development tools (Visual Studio, Eclipse, etc.)
- Experience writing real-time simulation, high-performance game code.
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in Computer Science or relevant field.
- 3-5 years of experience in a hands-on development role.
- Demonstrate past experience in working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Demonstrable experience developing live products at a large scale.
- Previous engineering leadership experience over a major system.
- Experience in using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes.
Team and Collaboration Requirements:
- Ability to work well as part of a creative multi-disciplinary team (work with animators, modelers, visual effect, and audio effect artists).
- Excellent technical problem-solving skills under iteratively changing requirements during development.
- Strong oral communication and collaboration skills to work with non-engineering disciplines.