Technical Writer, Global Specifications
Brighton, United Kingdom
14 days ago
We are looking for a dynamic technical specialist to join our awesome Release Engineering Group, the team responsible for managing and coordinating the release of Unity to over a million developers and billions of end-users. You will be spearheading a new initiative to capture and evolve the high technical standards we set for ourselves and for our contributors, and which help us to deliver quality for users whilst enabling our amazing R&D teams to work with creative freedom. You will be based in sunny, hip Brighton, where we’ll be moving into our bespoke brand new offices in the coming weeks. You will also collaborate with teams across our other European and worldwide studios, with opportunities to travel.
You will be the primary architect behind this new initiative to capture, maintain and evolve our technical specifications, which are essential in helping us to deliver consistent and coherent products as Unity grows. This is a key project with global reach and which cuts across all the R&D organization. Your role, which you will largely define, will be central and highly influential. In this mission, you will have strong support from the highly talented Release Engineering Group that you’ll be joining.
If you are an experienced technical writer with a track record in maintaining technical specifications, or an ex-developer with a passion for writing and communication, you may just be the person we’re looking for.
- Drive discussion of technical specifications and standards across the entire organization.
- Capture, refine, organize and draft specifications based on these discussions in order to evolve the standards over time.
- Work closely with R&D leaders, external partners and contributors.
- Document specifications, processes and standards to an exceptionally high level.
- Design the processes needed to maintain, evolve and track use of development standards.
- Evolve the technical standards for Unity development internally and externally.
- Deliver an innovative concept for integrating these standards within development processes and work with tooling engineers to architect and roll out this system.
- A passion for writing, language and communication and an impeccable standard of written and spoken English.
- A good understanding of technology and a natural affinity for software development.
- A talent for simplifying complexity.
- Experience maintaining and managing technical specifications, from a software development perspective.
- Experience delivering results under tight deadlines.
- Software development experience, ideally C++ or C#.
- Understanding of source control tools (e.g. git, mercurial) and processes.
- An open mind and a willingness to question the status quo.
- An interest in computer games or software for creative applications.
- Experience working with geographically diverse teams.
Who We Are
Unity is the creator of the world’s most widely-used real-time 3D (RT3D) development platform, providing content creators around the world with the tools they need to build rich, interactive 2D, 3D, VR and AR experiences. In fact, apps made with Unity reach 2.7 billion devices worldwide, and were installed more than 24 billion times in the last 12 months.
The global engineering team keeps Unity at the forefront of technology and — working alongside partners like Magic Leap, Google, Facebook, Oculus and Microsoft — ensures optimized support for the latest technology and platforms. Unity is powering the real-time revolution, expanding beyond games and breaking into other industries including automotive, film, architecture, engineering, construction and more.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.