Technical Writer (Contract)
20 days ago
WHO WE ARE
We’re ArenaNet—we’ve created a studio that makes online worlds infused with innovation, hand-crafted excellence, and creative passion. We're not the only ones who share this passion; gamers made Guild Wars 2 the fastest selling MMO game in the West with more than 3 million copies sold in its first 9 months, and players and press have consistently called it one of the best MMOs of all time. Since launch, over 16 million players have explored the world of Tyria in Guild Wars 2.
Our studio is built on foundations of excellence with a focus on community. We constantly innovate, unlocking the true potential of online role-playing with game-changing titles like Guild Wars 2 and beyond. The status quo is not good enough for our dedicated worldwide community of players, which is why we question the de facto industry conventions and demand more from ourselves as developers.
We are looking for a Contract Technical Writer to consult with engineers, designer, producers, and other technical staff to prepare technical and end user documentation for software and internal proprietary tools. This role will function as a primary writer—responsible for deliverables of substantial scope and complexity and create information efficiencies that will assist in building and maintain our gaming systems.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Independently prepare, review, revise, and maintain technical documents, including software and systems engineering, system operations, testing, and user documentation.
- Gather and analyze technical information from various sources to document product functionality.
- Independently Write, format, edit, review, and proof procedural and technical information for technical and nontechnical users.
- Maintain a library of application documentation, cataloging it for internal and/or external use.
- Determine the clearest and most logical way to present information to achieve the greatest reader comprehension.
- Independently gather information from subject matter experts who may have minimal documentation experience and translate that into new documentation on highly specialized topics that will be read by an audience with a diverse skillset.
- Perform proofreading of general-audience, administrative, technical, and artistic instructions, and produce mechanical and substantive edits, correcting grammar, technical usage, content, and organizational problems to meet business needs.
- Record page inventories for vetting and archival procedures.
- Create easy to understand and aesthetically pleasing technical documentation for our tools, processes, and workflows
- Establish and manage team-wide standards, style guides, best practices, and processes surrounding documentation.
- Create flow diagrams, charts, and other visual aids, to assist readers in understanding a tool or process.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- 2+ years of experience in technical writing
- Professional training, or work experience in writing technical documentation, preferably for games or development tools.
- Experience of creating written documentation, tutorials, and other training material.
- Experience with Jira and Confluence
- Experience creating technical documentation or guides
- Experience explaining technical topics to both technical and non-technical audience
- Ability to learn new systems and develop product expertise quickly
- Ability to drive actions that rely on input from other people to completion
This is a 6 month contract.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.