This job might no longer be available.
Technical UI Designer-Fortnite
13 days ago
What makes us Epic?
At the core of Epic’s success are talented, passionate people. Epic prides itself on creating a collaborative, welcoming, and creative environment. Whether it’s building award-winning games or crafting engine technology that enables others to make visually stunning interactive experiences, we’re always innovating. Being Epic means being a part of a team that continually strives to do right by our community and users. We’re constantly innovating to raise the bar of engine and game development.
Like what you hear? Come be a part of something Epic.
What you’ll do
Epic Games is looking for talented, experienced Technical UI designers to work on Fortnite. In this position, you will have a role as a collaborative team member implementing UI systems design in Unreal engine, building rapid prototypes, layouts, game scripts, and levelling up our workflows. You will work with UX Designers, Visual Designers, and UI Engineers to ship these features to millions of users around the world. The ideal candidate would have expertise in basic vector math ("Game math"), game systems, and basic programming principles.
In this role, you will
- Work on UI Systems Design, break down feature/wireframe into necessary widget structures and classes.
- Design and build reusable and extendable widgets.
- Work with UX & visual design to identify needs and communicate the technical requirements of those needs to engineers.
- Work with UX to ensure UI player input is correctly mapped, responsive, and has appropriate game feel.
- Layout wireframes with appropriate widget classes so visual designers can begin styling.
- Increase UI performance by ensuring best practices are being followed by colleagues.
- Ensure assets/UI are within memory constraints. Able to profile performance without engineering help at senior levels.
- Implement blueprint logic when presentation logic calls for it. Assist Visual Designers where necessary to implement special presentation behavior. Consult with UI engineers on what logic will be in blueprint vs native code.
- Debug work. Debug blueprints/UMG issues quickly using fault isolation techniques.
- Rapidly Prototype Designs made by the Visual & UX designers.
- Find ways to assist UX, visual design, and UI engineering in organization, documentation, and building workflow improvements.
- Localize content and UI and remain aware of localization needs, enforcing localization UI standards and best practices and correcting issues when they occur.
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of experience building UI and experiences in game engines and across multiple platforms (mobile, web, pc, consoles).
- 3+ years of experience working in Agile environments and on multi-disciplinary teams.
- 1+ years of experience shipping updates and new features to a user base on a regular cadence.
- Professional experience using Adobe Suite (especially Photoshop, Illustrator a plus), have engine experience (Custom engine, Unity, UE4, Lumberyard, Snowdrop, etc.), and have game industry 3D-package experience (3D Studio, Maya, etc.).
- You’re known for not only delivering pixel perfect UI in engine, but leveling up the design and motion graphics experience in ways designers didn’t think of.
- You are a logical problem solver who pays a lot of attention to detail and has excellent written and communication skills
- You are a proactive individual who naturally leans into owning outcomes from start to finish while also having the ability to deal with ambiguity in an ever-changing environment.
- You can "translate" communication across departments (i.e talk to engineering about visual design needs, summarize technical issues, etc), but also have empathy for non technical team members and the ability to empower others on your team.
- UI work on 1+ AAA game titles.
- You can write in C++
- Scripting experience
- Experience with building materials/shaders in Unreal Engine.
- Experience with Unreal Engine (even more points for Unreal Motion Graphics UI Designer experience.)
- You’ve built and refined UI art pipelines
Please submit your resume with a portfolio and we’ll be in touch soon!
Epic Games spans across 12 countries with 32 studios and 1,800+ employees globally. For over 25 years, we’ve been making award-winning games and engine technology that empowers others to make visually stunning games and 3D content that bring environments to life like never before. Epic’s award-winning Unreal Engine technology not only provides game developers the ability to build high-fidelity, interactive experiences for PC, console, mobile, and VR, it is also a tool being embraced by content creators across a variety of industries such as media and entertainment, automotive, and architectural design. As we continue to build our Engine technology and develop remarkable games, we strive to build teams of world-class talent.
Epic Job + Epic Benefits = Epic Life
Our intent is to cover all things that are medically necessary and improve the quality of life. We pay for 100% of the premiums for both you and your dependents. We offer coverage for Medical, Dental, Vision HRA, Long Term Disability, AD&D and Life Insurance, 401k.
We offer plenty of annual celebrations for employees and family members to show the love for our people. Additionally, each year, we celebrate the Epic family with company-wide paid breaks, generous paid time off, and recognize individuals for 7 years of employment with a paid sabbatical - we think our people are pretty awesome!
Epic Games deeply values diverse teams and an inclusive work culture, and we are proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer. Learn more about our Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Policy here.