Technical Sound Designer
16 days ago
Insomniac Games is searching for its next Audio team member! The Technical Sound Designer is responsible for coordinating and completing tasks related to technical audio implementation, scripting and audio pipeline efficiencies utilizing the game engine and Wwise middleware to improve the overall quality level of audio in our games. This role works closely with the Audio Designers, Audio Leads, Design and Core teams to design and develop systems that increase workflow productivity and allow maximum audio creativity and quality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
• Utilizes technical skills to make sure sound effects meet technical requirements of game including voice channel limits, memory management, prioritization, etc.
• Proactively works with the development team to identify and develop strategies for implementing sound effects that yield highest quality results in the game.
• Investigates technical sound effect bugs and uses technical skills to resolve them.
• Adept at pre-mixing game sound effects and contributes to assisting with technical elements of final sound design mix.
• Ability to perform scripting using visual scripting tools.
• Conceptualizes and creates unique sound effects that match the style and tone for the game.
• Communicates ideas and technical details clearly with other teams/departments working in disciplines other than audio.
• Communicates progress toward goals on a regular basis with audio directors, audio leads and project managers.
• Attends project meetings as a technical audio representative.
• Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from a four-year college or university; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience focused on experience in technical sound effect design, creation, mixing, processing and implementation or computer game product development experience.
• Experience with Wwise and Audio Plug-Ins is a must
• Proficient with multitrack project mixing software/hardware and session set-up (Avid Pro Tools experience preferred)
• Experience with mixing stereo and surround sound formats
• Proficient with PC-based sample editors (Sound Forge)
• Knowledgeable with both PC and Mac-based operating systems
• Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
• Experience with Python, Lua, C++ or visual scripting languages (aka blueprints) is a plus
• Emphasis in sound effect and dialogue mixing and post-production work
• Emphasis on microphone placement, operation and recording
• Thorough understanding of audio compression technologies and surround sound formats
• Thoroughly understands the foundations of dynamic, frequency, and time-based effects as well as audio synthesis
• Basic understanding of audio physics principles
• Strong written and verbal communication skills required
• Must be able to present ideas clearly and work well within a large team environment
• Film or television production/location recording experience preferred
• Understanding of music/playing an instrument is a plus
If this sounds like the perfect role for you, please submit your application below. We look forward to reviewing your reels / work samples and your resume submissions.