This job might no longer be available.
Technical Program Manager - Augmented Reality Research & Development
4 months ago
Are you ready to improve the world through the power of Augmented Reality? We’re looking for a Technical Program Manager who will work across R&D, engineering, product, and design to both build near-term tactical schedules and plan out the long-term deployment for our Machine Learning and Augmented Reality efforts. You will coordinate the work of the Research and Development Team (London) to drive high-risk innovations and help integrate R&D progress across the larger company. You will adjust priorities, set the rhythm for individuals and teams, and clearly communicate technical tradeoffs between the UK team and others, including those in US time zones.
This Program Manager will organize workstreams and adjust processes. You should enjoy learning from other engineers and researchers from varied specialties to understand their issues, and to manage uncertainty, so you can best support and coach them. Being self-directed and having a strong work ethic will be critical in this role. We are passionate about discovery, so this person will learn and grow, deploying inventions that make better “adventures on foot, with others,” for millions of users.
- Nurture a diverse team of scientists and engineers, helping to build advanced software systems.
- Partnering with engineering, product, design, and legal teams, build and execute multiple projects simultaneously, while ensuring key objectives are achieved.
- Ensure every sub-team and engineer understands what they need to deliver and when.
- Triage and prioritize the work requested of you and the teams you support, while considering the experimental and sometimes unpredictable nature of some of the projects.
- Create templates, workflows and processes that are lightweight and exactly suited to the team’s needs.
- Coordinate and run meeting agendas.
- Quickly identify schedule risks and communicate possible solutions.
- Consistently document decisions and communicate those to impacted teams.
- Employ and teach tools used for issue tracking, documentation, and resource scheduling.
- Assess and measure long term and short term goals and objectives, evaluate project success, maintain up to date information and relevant technical documentation.
- Seek opportunities to improve ways of working, and to build new processes that will enhance performance and team unity.
- Cultivate and maintain cross-team collaborations, mentor and guide team members to overcome challenges, and enable people to produce work that will make a significant impact to Niantic’s mission.
- Proven experience in leading a successful agile team, preferably within a research environment.
- Ability to proactively lead and problem-solve in technical discussions with domain-experts.
- Ability to communicate pros/cons candidly with product managers, development partners, marketing, legal, and executive teams.
- Experience building roadmaps and project/release plans with a deep understanding of dependency and risk management.
- Experience managing software releases.
- Well versed in Agile and JIRA.
- Possess strong attention to detail, while keeping track of what is practical.
- Ability and curiosity to read technical reports and documents, to critically assess trends and breakthroughs.
- BS or MS degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience in engineering, and software program management.
- Experience working in AR, VR, or computer vision related fields.
- Exposure to building and using machine learning data and systems.
- Affinity for connecting technology with creative and enjoyable experiences.
- Keen to acquire new knowledge, to be relatively fluent with the research team’s work.
- Inherently attracted to the scientific method, and to sharing skills and knowledge with others.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.