Technical Operations Manager
24 days ago
Team Name:Battle.net & Online Products
Job Title:Technical Operations Manager
Technical Operations Manager, Battle.net Platform
Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Technical Operations Manager for the Battle.net platform, to build programs for testing and governing our production environments and ensure that we are meeting our service level objectives.
The Battle.net platform serves all of Blizzard Entertainment’s engaging and exciting games. We provide secure authentication, identity, social, ecommerce, telemetry, and many other services to our partners, in a high-scale and highly available, global environment.
In the role of Technical Operations Manager, you will work with our team of 300+ engineers and staff to ensure we meet performance and stability objectives through well-defined and measured service level indicators. You will be responsible for driving discovery of our service limits and instrumental in ensuring the right bottlenecks are addressed, to increase our overall capacity tenfold over the next few years. The dashboards you help create will be used across the organization to report current system health and capacity, as well as by game studios and other partners to understand their instantaneous usage.
You will also help to specify and construct comprehensive automated testing programs that monitor trends in our performance and provide early-warning when service degradation is imminent.
When outages or service degradations occur, you will ensure that our response falls within expected timeframes, and that all appropriate procedures (e.g., organizational communication, root cause analysis, mitigation work) are followed.
Our ideal candidate is a highly technical, seasoned producer or project manager with prior experience managing successful live services and operations. You should have great communication and organizational skills, be fond of spreading information, and love data mining and building dashboards.
- Develop and communicate service level objectives for key platform systems and environments. Create dashboards and other communication channels for service level indicators which measure compliance with those SLOs.
- Partner with engineering, quality assurance, and product leadership to provide and operate a holistic set of automated tests which measure current capacity against projected load. Assist with capacity planning and define growth patterns for the future.
- Help ensure stability of our production environment, particularly during major game releases, by coordinating and communicating significant platform changes. Influence beyond Battle.net by driving alignment of priorities and timelines with teams across Blizzard, Activision, and our other partners.
- Quantitatively measure operational success metrics and utilize that data to evaluate and improve the incident management process. Track responses to live service incidents and help ensure expected practices are followed in a timely manner.
- Contribute to maintaining a healthy team culture, built around Blizzard values.
- Bachelor of Art or Science in a technical field (or equivalent experience).
- Minimum 5 years of production or project management experience.
- Previous experience in a live operations or product support capacity.
- A commitment to quality and customer satisfaction.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent facilitation and organizational skills.
- Knowledgeable in process establishment and continuous improvement.
- Experience weighing competing needs and ability to make trade-offs and tough calls quickly.
- PMP, CAPM, and/or other project management certification.
- Hands-on experience with data products such as Elasticsearch, Cloudera, etc.
- Hands-on experience with visualization systems such as Kibana, Grafana, and/or Tableau.
- Experience with quality assurance and automated testing programs.
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines.
- Expertise in JIRA, Confluence, or similar team collaboration applications.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!