Technical Lead (La Forge)
10 days ago
La Forge: facilitating technical prototyping based on the latest academic progress
La Forge is a bridge between academia and video game production, between scholars and industry experts. Dedicated to innovation, we aim to accelerate research and development. Through prototyping, we help content creators build increasingly believable worlds and better understand our players. Academics and professionals, together, we explore subjects such as rendering, animation, AI, audio, and physics. Our mission: to tackle some of the biggest challenges in art and tech in gaming.
As a Technical Lead at La Forge, you’ll guide a small yet mighty team of R&D developers in transforming prototypes into minimum viable products for video game productions.
With the support of the department’s development director and production manager, you’ll provide invaluable technical oversight and direction – from design to delivery.
With a responsibility to help your team of developers refine their skills, you’ll coach and mentor them, empowering them to innovate and perform at their best in a collaborative R&D space.
Thanks to your know-how, credibility, and reliability, not only can your colleagues at La Forge turn to you for information and direction, but so can others. You’re a go-to person for guidance and a trusted advisor for Ubisoft employees worldwide.
What you’ll do
- Help define the development plan and deliverables of prototypes to be implemented on productions.
- Regularly meet with your team of R&D developers to assign tasks, discuss progress, overcome blockers, give feedback, etc.
- Mentor and motivate your team to develop their technical skills + provide technical oversight by reviewing code and making technical validations.
- Partner with production teams to introduce innovative technologies into their pipelines, identify opportunities, and propose new projects.
- Bridge communication between La Forge and other teams across Ubisoft.
- Write efficient, elegant code.
- Represent your team at all kick-off and closing meetings.
- Anticipate and assess complex, escalated issues + propose adapted solutions.
- Monitor technological advancements and industry standards + share your learnings with our studios and the academic sector.
- Take part in recruitment to assess candidates for internships and full-time positions.
What you bring
- Extensive experience in programming & innovation and/or team management (or other relevant experience)
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in a couple of disciplines related to video games + curiosity to continue learning (Feel free to check out our YouTube channel for a glimpse of the subjects we cover at La Forge: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1oDKQKlBlNso7E7XAiB--A/videos)
- Mastery of C++ (Python, an asset)
- A thorough grasp of Git and Visual Studio
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you can interact with all disciplines + break down complex information for various audiences
- Excellent mentorship, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- An entrepreneurial spirit that allows you to persevere, learn from mistakes, and bounce back from setbacks
- A desire to share your knowledge to push the boundaries of the industry & help others improve their skills
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background and skills
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Karin. As she learns more about you through your profile, get to know her through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.