Technical Game Designer
16 days ago
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Are you a game designer that lives and breathes Dungeons & Dragons?
We’re seeking an analytical, hardworking, and engaging Technical Game Designer to join our team building the future of Dungeons & Dragons' digital play experience! This role is will be part of the core design team, collaborating with other designers, artists, and engineers to be the glue between tactics and implementation. Applicants should be enthusiastic about diving into the minutia of rules interactions, skilled at breaking large interconnected systems into digestible parts, and ready to immerse themselves in the work of digitizing the world's greatest role-playing game.
What you'll do:
- Master the Arcane: Collaborate with game leadership on high-level system design, bringing a deep understanding of tabletop game rules.
- Explore Dungeons: Build up and maintain detailed documentation for all owned features, leaving no pathways unexplored.
- Min-max Systems: Work with engineers and artists to ensure system designs can be easily implemented while also planting seeds for future improvements.
- Lead the Way: Own the integration of each system from initial technical documentation to final implementation. Help others understand how these systems work and why we are building them.
- Fire up the Forge: Build content to exercise systems and contribute design horsepower to the construction of various content creation tools.
- Join the Party: Regularly play the game, providing constructive feedback and suggestions to other members of the team.
What you'll bring:
- Proven ability as a game designer in a professional capacity.
- At least 1 completed project with design responsibilities, either in the digital game or tabletop roleplaying game industries.
- Deep knowledge of gameplay logic. Familiarity with data structures and general programming concepts.
- Experience with Dungeons & Dragons / TTRPG design and a drive to keep updated with the latest trends in the industry.
- Strong analytical skills and a love for efficient problem solving.
- Positive, direct, collaborative communication to improve our shared vision.
- Flexible, adaptable approach with a constant appetite for new knowledge and experiences.
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, able to manage a feature from start to finish but also know when to ask for mentorship or help.
- Experience with Unreal or Unity game engines.
- Ability to program or edit scripts.
- Understanding of UX concepts and ability to build flow charts.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.