18 days ago
The Mill has been creating world-class visual effects built on creative excellence and cutting-edge technologies for over twenty-eight years. We believe in creating work that touches people emotionally, that becomes popular culture and that people love, talk about and want to share. We believe in great ideas beautifully told.
The Mill is currently looking for a highly motivated CG Technical Director for our Los Angeles office.
This position will facilitate the support of various production departments focusing on Maya and Houdini workflows. The CG Technical Director will work closely with our CG Leads, artists, and supervisors to design and develop tools to streamline active and future projects. You should have a thorough knowledge of animation, modeling, lighting and layout tools used in the CG/VFX industry, as well as related cross pipeline workflows. Maya tools with UIs, complex HDAs and tools inside of Houdini, tools that interact with our asset management pipeline and oftentimes basic scripts that artists can run to help with a repetitive task are all examples of what the CG Technical Director will be involved in. The CG Technical Director will not only take direction but also offer up ideas for efficiency and innovation. This candidate should work well with teams in a fast paced commercial environment, where daily proactive problem solving and artistry are expected as well as collaborate with the global pipeline team in order to implement tools, report current issues and workflow improvements. Must be an excellent communicator. The ideal candidate would also be able to take on shot production work from time to time within Maya or Houdini, ideally with a generalist set of skills.
- Responsible for the design, development, and deployment of scripts and GUIs for the CG production pipeline.
- Work with our CG Supervisors, leads and artists to develop show specific tools that help speed up our workflows.
- While working on shots in production, evaluate pain points in the workflow that could be improved and recommend/implement these improvements.
- Troubleshooting projects when they are challenged, working with the producers and supervisors to deliver projects on time and with high quality CG and motion graphics.
- Ongoing research and awareness of advancements in technology and software, striving to be up to date with the best tools for the team
- Collaborate with our global pipeline team in order to implement new tools and workflows within our current pipeline and use best practices.
- 5+ years experience in working as a Generalist Technical Director or technical minded CG Generalist with a wide variety of styles and looks on the reel as well as a great eye and aesthetic
- Thorough understanding of techniques, and technologies relating to CG front end pipelines, and workflow.
- Advanced skills in Maya, Houdini
- Advanced scripting skills (Python, Pymel, Qt, PyQt, PySide)
- Familiarity with VEX, C are a plus
- A working knowledge of Arnold
- A working knowledge of Nuke
- Experience working with concept artists, designers, and VFX teams, in both 2D and 3D
- Strong communication skills are critical. Must be able to work within a team and communicate and articulate your ideas well
- Excellent collaboration skills, always striving to be a team player
- Ability to take direction and exercising attention to detail
- Must be self-motivated with the ability to prioritize tasks based on production needs
- Ability to work under tight deadlines, and have a strong desire to work in a fast paced global company, always looking to produce the best work across all areas.
- Improve and maintain existing tools to improve quality and reliability
Please click here to review our privacy notices for job applicants.
If you require assistance applying, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll be happy to assist.
TECHNICOLOR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Technicolor complies and prohibits against discrimination on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, medical condition (including genetic characteristics), mental and/or physical disability or handicap, marital status, sex, age, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political party preference, political belief, socioeconomic status, familial status, registered domestic partner status, military service, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions and any other characteristic or activity protected by federal, state/provincial or local law.
The Mill is a global creative partner for agencies, production companies and brands, working across all media channels and platforms.
We are trusted specialists in visual effects, creative technologies and content production Our projects include the creation of digital products and virtual experiences, as well as world class visual effects and video production.
We are a vibrant network of talented artists, producers, directors and creative technologists from multinational backgrounds. We nurture innovation, flexibility and diverse ideas across our studios in London, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Berlin and Bangalore. We are all united by one single ambition: To create extraordinary and memorable work that captivates and excites audiences. We are The Mill. We create the extraordinary.
The Mill’s flagship studio, Mill London, opened its doors in 1990. Located in London’s Fitzrovia, the studio is home to over 300 creators working across Mill VFX, Mill Direction and Mill Experience projects. The Mill’s London home overlooks the iconic BT tower, and is surrounded by some of the best eateries in town. The London creative community often gathers on The Mill’s rooftop bar and terrace, which plays host to a number of industry and staff events.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.