14 days ago
Outplay’s portfolio of games is played and enjoyed by millions of people every month. Our in-house technology stack and the engineering team that maintains it are pivotal to entertaining and engaging that ever-growing audience.
While it is vital that our systems are always reliable and responsive, it is equally important that we continually develop new features to improve and expand to support the needs of the business.
Here at Outplay, we have a fantastic new opportunity for a Technical Director to take the lead in establishing Outplay’s overall technical strategy, vision and long-term goals as part of our highly skilled engineering team.
You will have a strong commitment to continually improving every aspect of the team, overseeing, coaching and mentoring to enable everyone to produce their very best work.
As the Technical Director, you will lead and inspire the technical team to create the technology to power Outplay’s expanding portfolio of games.
Experienced in both software development and leadership, you will be equally confident deep diving into technical details as structuring the team for rapid and robust delivery.
You will have a passion for delivering best of breed technology and building the high performing team behind that delivery.
Technical Vision and Delivery
- Champion technology throughout the company, ensuring that it is aligned to strategic and commercial objectives.
- Work with the team to maintain and communicate technical vision, ensuring that engineering priorities and time frames are visible throughout the company.
- Collaborate with other teams and disciplines to ensure that we harness technology to become more effective in everything that we do.
- Help the team to channel the technical vision and product strategy into everyday development, managing the development process to deliver the vision.
- Maintain an awareness of market developments. Constantly seeking out innovations that we can use to improve our player experience and development process.
- Establish and implement effective development practices across the engineering team.
Team Management & Continual Improvement
- Continually seek opportunities for the engineering team to improve its delivery and working practices.
- Ensure that every member of the team is working at their best, collaborating to form a high performing team.
- Define and deliver a comprehensive plan for the well-being & development of every member of your team.
- Deliver transparent performance assessments and targeted improvement plans to ensure that the individual, the project and Outplay are visibly benefiting from the process.
- Conduct frequent 1:1 meetings with direct reports as well as everyone else in their department, in accordance with the company’s continuous development requirements.
- Assess and resolve current and future team resource issues by evaluating options across all teams, collaborating with key stakeholders, and selecting the right solution based on impact & skill-set. Clearly communicates any proposed changes to all stakeholders
- Own and drive recruitment efforts ensuring that we are equipped to hire and engage top industry talent.
- Proven commercial leadership experience in the gaming industry either as a Technical Director, or Senior/Lead on a major game.
- A bachelor’s degree in a software-related discipline, or equivalent commercial experience.
- Exceptional management and communication skills.An in-depth understanding of full life-cycle software development.
- An in-depth understanding of full life-cycle software development.
- Excellent knowledge of software engineering practices and proven ability to apply them in a range of programming languages, particularly C#/Unity.
- Experience with modern mobile development on iOS and Android platforms.
- Experience in developing and operating customer-facing cloud services at scale.
- Enthusiasm for casual mobile games and market as well as the technical challenges they present.
- An understanding of agile development processes and their application to game development.
- Knowledge of ads monetization/mediation environment.
- Experience in working with server-side technology stacks, preferably in a DevOps environment.
- Experience in architecting and delivering developer-facing software solutions.
Founded in 2010 and based in Dundee, Outplay Entertainment is the largest independent mobile developer in the UK.
To date, the studio’s games have received over 160 million downloads, have been featured multiple times as Apple’s Editors’ Choice, won TIGA awards and received a BAFTA nomination.
With a passionate focus on making the best games, our talented and dynamic team has developed several critically acclaimed and award-winning games. Gordon Ramsay’s Chef Blast and Mystery Match Village are the latest titles in the portfolio, continuing to deliver the high-quality visuals, production values and casual yet engaging gameplay that Outplay is known for.
With an exciting pipeline of future titles in development and continued growth on our existing games, Outplay is just getting started.
We also offer the following benefits:
- Private medical and dental care
- 33 days of holiday
- Employee assistance package
- Bonus Scheme
- EMI Share Option Scheme.
- Comprehensive Well-Being Package
We have a flexible hybrid work model at Outplay, prioritising flexibility, inclusion, health and enjoyment. With our work model, our roles can be fulfilled with the flexibility to choose to relocate to work fully onsite in Dundee or in a hybrid mode, either locally or from anywhere in the UK or European work locations.
At Outplay, our mission is to create limitless fun for everyone who plays our games, and we value every individual that helps make that goal a reality. We are committed to remaining an equal opportunities employer and providing a friendly, safe, and welcoming environment for everyone who works here irrespective of age, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, physical appearance, body size, and sexual orientation. All our employees are treated with dignity and respect because being part of Outplay is more than just work – it’s a family.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.