13 days ago
IO Interactive is embarking on a new journey - into the world of emergent multi-player on a unique unannounced project that we believe will shape the future for years to come of both our studio and the relationships we’ve built with our players . When it comes to developing this new console project, we are seeking a Technical Director who is passionate and experienced with multiplayer tech. We can offer the immersive mastery we are known for, on a whole other level of player interaction.
With a strong studio culture dedicated to high quality of life, supported by transparent communication and supportive engagement with our team members, we are seeking individuals who can see the vision and take the leap on this new adventure that promises to deliver a one-of-a-kind gameplay experience for players. Our world-class locations in Copenhagen, Malmo, and Barcelona offer flexibility, superior benefits, and a high commitment and respect for the individual.
Glacier, our state-of-the-art engine technology, is part of our success as a studio. Built around visual scripting and hot-reloading to enable completely data-driven WYSIWYG game development, our game development engine was designed from the ground up to enable faster iterations on content creation, tweaking, and debugging. We have achieved this through a highly optimized Runtime Resource System, a powerful Live Editor, and an on-demand Asset Pipeline.
We are looking for a technically strong leader, capable of analyzing the strengths and weaknesses of an engine and use it accordingly. You can lead the development of all novel technical aspects of a project, including game-specific programming, in a structured and future-proof way. We need you to provide inspiration and act as a motivator for a team of talented programmers.
In close cooperation with the Game Director and the Executive Producer, you will transform high-level business requirements and creative visions into a technology roadmap covering the entire game project, and you will be responsible for the code architecture, technology vision, and development, best practices, and more.
You’ll work with the CTO and the other Technical Directors on other projects to help, together, move IOI’s technology and games forward.
What you will do:
Who you are:
- Establish the programming vision for the entire project, in line with the Game Director’s vision
- Throughout the duration of the project, you will update and adjust the roadmap according to project progress and changes, with the aim of keeping the agreed scope and deadlines. Your goal is to ensure the technology roadmap is successfully implemented – and you will reach this by setting the group of Technical Team Leads up for success.
- Provide and update high-level estimates for all areas of the game to the Executive Producer and help with prioritization
- Ensure the tech vision for the project is aligned with the studio’s overall tech vision, by coordinating with the CTO and Tech Directors for other projects
- Evangelize the technical direction of the entire project internally as well as externally
- Coordinate the technical direction of the individual development teams with the Technical Team Leads
- Establish coding best practices and follow up with lead and senior programmers to make sure that these requirements are met
- Use your analytical mind and ability to synthesize ideas and requirements to develop solutions
- Provide clear direction and feedback to the employees working on the programming areas of the project (for example, through task force sprint kick-off and review meetings)
- Work in collaboration with directors and leads of other disciplines to determine the technological needs of the project in conjunction with constraints and project requirements
- Provide coaching and mentoring for the programming team
- Participate in the interview process for the programming team
- Bring input to employees’ performance review process
We would love it if you had:
- You have at least 5 years of experience as a lead programmer or a comparable technical leadership role
- Thorough experience working on at least one multiplayer, AAA title
- Proven track record of game programming experience from various projects
- Provide leadership and cultivate a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Profound knowledge of technological constraints on various platforms
- Deep knowledge in C++ and C# languages and system architecture
- Experienced with general and platform-specific game and engine optimizations
- You need to be very proactive, support the rest of game management to establish systems for planning, reporting, and controlling various aspects of programming, and willing to work hands-on to achieve goals in time
- Cross-platform development experience
- Strong communication skills
Who we are:
- Multiplayer/networking programming experience on a AAA title
- University diploma in programming, computer engineering, software engineering or equivalent
We are a team, above all. If you join our studio, expect to be encouraged, listened to, and have your efforts and insightful impact recognized and valued. We take pride in the friendly haven we built at IOI, and we expect you to take part in cultivating that. We are also highly international, with people from over 30 nationalities working in both our Copenhagen, Barcelona, and Malmö studios.
We also have a reputation for being a very friendly workplace with highly talented people. That is why the members we welcome in our team never fail to integrate and are supported, valued, and listened to at all steps. We dedicate ourselves to quality and have fun while doing it. We welcome you to join us and do the same.
The position is open in both our Malmö and Copenhagen offices, and we will take your location preference into consideration. We welcome candidates from all over the world, and we support VISA and relocation.
Please send us a motivational letter telling us why IO Interactive and you would be a perfect match. We are looking forward to hearing from you! In case of questions, drop an email to Kasper, at email@example.com.
We are interviewing continuously until the right candidate is found, so don't hesitate but apply right away.