15 days ago
Carry1st is the leading publisher of mobile games in Africa. We work with studios across the globe to level up their games and scale in dynamic, frontier markets. In addition, Carry1st has built a proprietary payments engine, Pay1st, and ecommerce platform, the Carry1st Shop, which allows customers to pay for digital content leveraging local payment methods.
As Technical Director, you’ll be responsible for the technical strategy and performance of our games. You’ll work closely with our Product, Platform and 3rd party development teams to shape a successful product.
- Partner with Product and Business Development teams to identify 3rd party partner studios and evaluate their technical capabilities and effectiveness
- Be accountable for the technical strategy of a product and take an active part in establishing tech quality standards needed for a product’s financial success
- Be responsible for building effective development processes & workflows for partner teams and internal teams
- Be responsible for technical documentation and upwards reporting of technical performance
- Partner with Production to build Technical Backlogs and effectively cost items on the backlog
- Build healthy relationships with 3rd party development partners, Carry 1st’s platform team, game engines and any other service providers
- Mentor engineers in best practices for mobile game development
- Be accountable for sourcing and hiring processes to identify and hire engineers
What makes you a great candidate?
- 7+ years of professional experience as a software engineer working in a game development team
- 2+ years as a leader/manager leading engineers
- 1+ year as a technical lead guiding the direction and implementation of a game
- Experience recruiting candidates and growing an engineering team
- Experience in shipping a new game and transitioning it a live game
What will we offer you?
- Opportunity to shape a world class engineering discipline
- Highly autonomous environment & ability to have impact at scale
- Fully remote - work from anywhere in the world
Some additional perks you’ll get access to…
- Co-working excursions and retreats: Our teams are encouraged to work from a shared location and visit each other. Carry1st will cover travel expenses, accommodation, and provide you with a daily spending allowance
- Awesome equipment: To set our teammates up for success we make sure you’ve got everything you need to work effectively
- Remote working allowance: An additional $600 a year that you can put towards creating your own office space, whether it’s internet expenses, ad-hoc equipment, or using a co-working space
- Birthday leave: Our teammates enjoy a paid day off on their special day
- Learning and development: Access to a Professional Development Fund to enable teammates to attend courses, conferences and training events
- Social events: Fun and regular company events to relax and connect with teammates
Although we’ve specified a location that could work well for this role, it’s not essential to be based there. Carry1st is a remote first company – in fact, we currently have people in over 19 different countries. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. Join us!
Learn more about Carry1st…
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Forbes announced that Andreessen Horowitz led Carry1st’s $20M Series A Extension
- The Hollywood Reporter announced that Nas and Google joined Carry1st’s $20M round
- PocketGamer.Biz announced that Carry1st raised $20 million to create the “Garena of Africa”