Technical Director - Online
7 days ago
Crystal Dynamics is an award-winning, top of class game development studio located just south of San Francisco in sunny Redwood City, CA. Founded in 1992, Crystal Dynamics has grown into a world class studio by developing iconic franchises and keeping at the forefront of the very latest in technology and graphics. Crystal Dynamics is owned by Publisher/Developer Square-Enix, Inc., which boasts a multi-million dollar international portfolio of intellectual properties that few can match with respect to brand recognition and units sold.
Having created beloved properties such as Gex and the Legacy of Kain series, as well as driving the massively successful Tomb Raider franchise, Crystal Dynamics is now laying the groundwork for the next generation of innovative and technologically stunning projects. For more information, please visit www.crystald.com
A Technical Director is the in-house expert and authority as well as the Product Owner in one or more areas of our game and service software. This position requires mastery of technology and tools used in the studio as well as an understanding of quality, delivery against timelines, and how to tease out and quantify the work required to create complex software systems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Acts as a mentor and/or direct supervisor for other Software Engineers. Responsible for training new Software Engineers, participating in design and technical reviews.
- Responsible for development process on assigned systems and tasks, including creation of or contribution to technical design documents, accurately assessing time requirements and confidence level, and successfully completing milestones.
- Acts as a resource and expert for all teams and may be tapped for both internal and Eidos wide advice or work.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Works with leads, peers, and non-technical clients to define roadmaps and priorities for Online Systems, including:
- General Online development Best Practices
- Integration with LiveOps for deployment and Operational KPI tracking
- Integration with DevOps/Build and other Operational technologies
- Client/Server and Character Persistence
- Online/Multiplayer Testing
- Integration with Square Enix Online services
- Chat/Friends/Matchmaking and other social systems
- Takes complete ownership and development responsibilities for Online systems
- Builds and mentors a strong team to deliver these Online systems.
- Works autonomously, with proven ability to define, refine, and alter technical designs and implementation of large or complex systems or tools.
- Extremely knowledgeable in online game architecture and tools.
- Takes point on communication to clients of systems, offering a responsive and accurate status of development to the clients and internal staff.
- 8+ years of experience or equivalent. 3+ years of experience leading large-scale Online Games-as-a-Service products and processes.
- Strong time management skills with a proven ability to focus on priorities and solve problems in a timely manner.
- Able to design, implement, and optimize C++ code in new and existing systems. All code must be clear, maintainable, portable and efficient.
- Can manage and complete a complex set of goals independently.
- Good verbal and written communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences, including productive feedback and brainstorming, creation / contribution to technical design documents, code documentation, and Wiki / Web based documents.
- Effectively communicate thoughts and ideas with peer Software Engineers and supervisor, collectively working towards larger technical goals.
- Travel as needed.
Crystal Dynamics is an EOE and M/F/D/V employer.