This job might no longer be available.
Technical Director - Mobile (Apex Legends)
Los Angeles California United States
5 days ago
As a Technical Director for the Mobile team on Apex Legends, you will report to the Principal Technical Director of the newly formed Mobile Group. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a mix of strong technical, solid understanding of business models, and experience creating, leading, and running live mobile games.
As a Technical Director (TD) for Apex Legends Mobile, you will be responsible for working with internal EA teams, external vendors, and our external development partner to bring Apex Legends to market on mobile devices.
What skills is Respawn looking for in a Technical Director?
- Respawn looks for experience with all game technology systems and pipelines.
- The TD must be a great team player, with great technical leadership skills as well as unflagging energy and focus.
- The TD must also have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- The TD should have a degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) and have a minimum of 10-15+ years of development experience.
- The TD must have been a Lead and mentored engineering teams.
- The TD must have strong programming skills, plus solid experience in debugging and integrating complex systems.
- The TD must have experience in using automated testing, unit testing, and Configuration Management processes.
- Provide technical leadership and lead a technology team that designs and develops key technologies in the game.
- Own the core game quality attributes relating to game architecture, such as performance, scalability, security, availability, and reliability.
- Collaborate with internal EA and external partner Product Management to understand the requirements that will form the core foundation for all the in-house tools and technology.
- Drive the brainstorming process on the new products, tools and services required to support the game and the live service.
- Evaluates emerging technologies and software products to determine feasibility and desirability of incorporating their capabilities within the game.
- Manages and mentors a team of engineers technically and grooms them to become experts
- Hands-on in Coding and Testing and Deployment in the large-scale environments.
- The successful candidate must have excellent relationship building and collaborative skills and be able to act responsibly and diplomatically in any situation while representing Respawn and EA interests
- Set technical roadmap and milestone deliverables based on EA’s Game Development Framework
- Technical point of contact for EA Central Teams, such as EA Digital Platform (EADP), WWCE (Worldwide Customer Experience) and Publishing; working with them to ensure any technology requirements to support the external partner, are delivered when needed
- Drive planning and execution for Systems Testing / Load Testing for online systems, and managing Live Service Tools to support operational insights for a smooth live service
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree (or higher) in Computer Science or higher
- At least 7-10 years of industry experience, having shipped at least one mobile title with live service
- 6+ years of technical leadership experience
- Must have extensive experience building applications in a fast paced agile environment.
- Proficiency with C/C++; experience of scripting languages such as Python, Lua and C#
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices
- Strong domain experience in Online (client-server, cloud scaling, etc.) and knowledge/experience in all other areas of game development, i.e. AI, Cameras, Controls, Rendering, Audio, etc.
- Hands-on experience with building world-class web applications, especially in a distributed system.
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization
- Constantly innovating on how to improve product quality as well as group productivity
- Good verbal and written communication skills, analytical and proactive problem-solving skills, excellent proactive decision-making capabilities
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles, and solutions, collaborative problem solving between multiple teams
- Deep knowledge of building high performance, highly available, reliable, distributed systems software
- A strong background in Data Structures, Algorithms, Design patterns, analysis of algorithm complexity and efficient implementation of complex algorithms
- Experience with software development tools such as source control systems, automated build systems, compilers, software validation systems, test harnesses, continuous integration & deployment.
- Have played a leading role in the implementation and deployment of a successful enterprise-level system. This may be as a lead developer or as a test lead. (Quality, Development)
- Development experience with cloud platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Azure, etc. is a definite plus.
- Comes from a product development background (desirable).
- Ability to work in an environment with high degree of ambiguity (previous start-up like experience could be helpful)
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) - able to communicate effectively with all levels of management as well as a geographically and culturally diverse technical organization
- Experience working with / within a large team (>120 people) is a plus
- Knowledge of UE4 a plus
- Ability to speak Mandarin is a plus
If this position sounds like a fit for you, we look forward to seeing your resume!