Technical Director, Level Design
19 days ago
About the Role
As a Technical Director, Level Design at Ubisoft Shanghai, you will be responsible for bridging the gap between design vision and technical implementation. You will lead and implement technical solutions, utilizing your understanding of both technology and design to guide the development team to success. You will be the go-to person for guidance and resources, providing multidisciplinary solutions when anticipated and unforeseen challenges arise in game development. Your knowledge, helpfulness, and adaptability will make you an indispensable member of the team.
What you will do
- Collaborate with other core team members to develop the overall vision and determine technical feasibility of your area of ownership (e.g. AI, mission, world, cinematics, etc.).
- Prepare post-mortems and recommend ways to evolve how we create and integrate data
- Identify and analyze risks (engine, data, features, etc.), establish and improve workflows and data structures to standardize work methods and ensure the validity and integrity of the data
- Assess existing tools and, occasionally, design custom ones to support design pipelines.
- Maintain technical documentation (e.g. procedures, how-to guides, etc.) and train team members on tools and techniques, raising awareness of new processes
- Assist content creators with their technical needs and bridge communication between design and programming
- Prototype possible new gameplay features and own technical complex features
- Review and provide input on integrated work and find solutions to fix bugs
- Drive optimization and debugging to fix any raised issues
- Anticipate technological advancements and stay up-to-date on market trends to define our best practices and share them with our studios
- Proven experience in a minimum of three projects in production (or other related experience), including a full development cycle of one AAA title game in a production or management role
- Deep knowledge of game engines (e.g., Unity or Unreal) and their limitations
- An understanding of replication and scripting in a networked multiplayer environment
- Solid prototype skills, able to identify issues and improvements for quick iteration
- Familiarity with bug tracking software (e.g., Jira), version control systems (e.g. Perforce), and basic programming
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, mentorship, and presentation skills
- Attention to detail, curiosity, resourcefulness, and flexibility, able to give and take criticism
- Good English communication skills in both spoken and written
Nice to Have:
- Experience with game/level design or computer science (or related fields) background.
- Proven experience as a level designer (or equivalent).
- Experience as a lead or management role.
- Experience with multiple scripting languages, visual and text-based, knowledge of C++ is a plus.
- 至少参与过三个游戏或其它类似产品的开发项目，至少经历过一个3A 游戏的完整开发周期并在其中担任生产或管理岗位
- 对游戏引擎（例如 Unity 或 Unreal）及其局限性有深刻的了解
- 对多人游戏环境中的 replication和脚本编写有一定的了解
- 熟悉 bug 跟踪软件（例如 Jira）、版本管理软件（例如 Perforce） 和基础编程
- 有多个脚本语言的经验，包括节点式/可视化编程语言（eg. Blueprint)和脚本语言(eg. Lua)，C++
Benefits and Perks from Ubisoft Shanghai:
- Future of Work framework: We believe that working location flexibility is essential to employee engagement and contributes to our high value of work-life balance
- A minimum of 15 days paid annual leave
- Monthly meal and snack allowance
- Premium medical insurance plan and free annual health check
- Game Package: free access to Ubisoft games on PC plus a rich and expanding library of games & books
- Employee Assistance Program: wellbeing solutions, emotional support, and life coaching
- Jumpstart your growth: A rich resevoir of premium and exclusive learning resources to support your continuous learning, expand your skillset, and advance your career.
- 10+ staff clubs featuring weekly sports and gaming activities and events
Ubisoft CSR commitment
Making a long-lasting positive impact for our players, our teams, our partners and our planet.
In Ubisoft, we are working to enrich players’ lives through unique and memorable gaming experiences and by improving the positive impacts of our games. To get there, we are creating a safer, more inclusive work environment, we are giving back to the communities where Ubisoft operates by working with local non-profit partners and by working to reduce the environmental impact of our business.
To learn more about Ubisoft’s Environmental Commitment
Play Green: Ubisoft’s Commitment to Global Carbon Neutrality
About Ubisoft Shanghai:
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves. If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
As Ubisoft’s first production studio in China, Ubisoft Shanghai opened its door in 1996 and has been at the forefront of the Chinese game industry. It has been working on major Ubisoft brands such as Splinter Cell®, Assassin’s Creed®, Might & Magic®, Just Dance®, Far Cry® and Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora™.
With our mission to leverage our presence in China, bring a stronger long-term added value to the group, 600+ talents from around the world have jointly developed a world-class expertise in development of open world and wildlife in AAA games, as well as mobile games and live operations.
To learn more, please visit: www.ubisoftgroup.com
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.